Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Neptune Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Glenview, IL: ArcLight Cinemas - Glenview Opening on April 30, 2015 [4/27]
- Culver City, CA: ArcLight Cinemas - Culver City Opening on April 30, 2015 [4/27]
- Ashburn, VA: Starplex Cinemas - Loudoun Luxury 11 Now Open [4/24]
- Dallas, TX: Cinepolis to Open Luxury Movie Theater in Victory Park [4/21]
- Lewisburg, WV: Lewisburg Cinema 8 Now Open [4/21]
- Fort Worth and Hurst, TX: Cinemark Upgrading Ridgmar 13 and North East Mall 18 Locations with Luxury Loungers [4/15]
- Chicago, IL: ArcLight Cinemas Opening in Lincoln Park in September 2015 [4/11]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Glen Stadium 10 Closes for ArcLight Cinemas Conversion - Reopening on May 1, 2015 [4/11]
- Bangor, ME: Bangor Drive-In to Reopen After 30 Years [4/9]
- Tyler, TX: Studio Movie Grill Set to Open in April 2015 [4/3]
The Neptune Theatre in Seattle, Washington showed its last movie on Sunday, January 30, 2011. It is being closed for renovations that will repurpose the historic theatre primarily for live performances. This action is part of the transfer of operations of the Neptune from Landmark Theatres to Seattle Theatre Group that was announced in November 2010.
According to an article the Seattle Times, the Seattle Theatre Group intends to show movies from time to time:
Sunday marked the last day the Neptune operated as a movie theater. The Seattle Theatre Group (STG) is taking over its lease, restoring the historical detail and transforming the theater to a live-performance venue. The Neptune will still occasionally show films.
"We appreciate the years of great experiences citizens have had at the Neptune and the great treasure it is to this city," said Josh LaBelle, STG executive director. "This is the Neptune's moment, and all of those individuals who have worked tirelessly to keep it alive and well for so long."
STG is hoping to reopen the theater in Spring. According to the Cinema Treasures entry for the theater, the Neptune Theatre opened in 1921 and Landmark Theatres has operated it since 1981.
Moviegoers in the area will need to find other alternatives, and fortunately, there are quite a few. We currently show that there are 24 theaters within five miles of the Neptune's location, but I'm not sure if any of those have the same character that the Neptune appeared to have.
Do You Have Memories of the Neptune Theatre?
Leave your comments below!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.