Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- AMC Empire 25
New York, NY
- Watch Free Kid-Friendly Movies This Summer at Allen Theatres Locations [5/27]
- Kids Summer Movies at Megaplex Theatres - 10 Movies 10 Weeks for $10 [5/27]
- Watch Family Movies for Free at These Marquee Cinemas Locations [5/27]
- Frank Theatres Announces 2016 Summer Kids Series [5/27]
- Free Kids Movies at Cobb Theatres This Summer [5/27]
- Kid-Friendly Movies at Georgia Theatre Company Locations This Summer [5/27]
- $2 Movies at Malco Theatres' Kids Summer Film Fest Benefits Children's Hospitals [5/27]
- Free Movies at Bow Tie Cinemas During Summer Kids Series 2016 [5/27]
- Harkins Theatres Offers 2016 "Summer Movie Fun" Series - 10 Movies, 10 Weeks, Less than $1 Per Movie [5/26]
- Summer Kids' Flicks at Southern Theatres Locations [5/26]
The Hollywood Reporter has an article that takes a close look at the operations of the AMC Empire 25 in New York City, and it's well worth reading.
The article mentions that the theater opens much earlier than other theaters traditionally do, they do a ton more business than any other theater in the country, and they offer a wide variety of movies with a very flexible operation that allows them to handle varying crowds:
Most multiplexes in the U.S. don't open until noon and, if they did open earlier, would be hard-pressed to get any traffic. But early openings are all in a day's work for the Empire, which accommodates more than 2 million moviegoers annually. It's been the top-grossing theater in North America for years -- a surprising fact, even within the film business, given that it doesn't have bells and whistles like reserved seating or high-end dining. Not to mention that 42nd Street is best associated with the surrounding Broadway legit theaters (and, of course, the often seedy history of Times Square).
Perched in the heart of Times Square, the Empire benefits from tourist foot traffic and accessibility to everyone who lives or works nearby. It's next door to the busiest subway complex in the city and across the street from the Port Authority bus terminal, ready to deliver people to and from nearby New Jersey.
But location doesn't entirely explain the Empire's incredible draw. The success it enjoys is just as much about its breadth of product. Many multiplexes rely mostly on commercial product, but the Empire offers a healthy diet of specialty films on top of the usual tentpole and genre fare -- and not just after those specialty titles cross over from select engagements and start courting a wider audience.
Click the Read link to view the full article!
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.