Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Plaza 3 Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
The AMC Plaza 3 in Keokuk, Iowa closed on Sunday, November 28, 2010. AMC Entertainment decided not to renew the lease on the theater that it purchased as part of a larger deal with Kerasotes (read the Journal article about that announcement).
The Daily Gate City published an article on November 9, 2010 when the closing was announced
“Sunday, Nov. 28, will be our last operating day,” said AMC Plaza 3 general manager Cindy Schmid, who has worked at the theater for 39 years.
Schmid was notified Friday by AMC Entertainment that the three-screen theater will be closed at the end of this month. AMC Entertainment bought the theater from Kerasotes Theatres about six months ago.
“AMC continually upgrades the quality of our theatre circuit by adding new screens and by disposing of older screens through closures and sales. We do, however, look at our theatres on an individual basis,” said AMC Entertainment spokesperson Justin Scott. “Unfortunately, the AMC Plaza 3 has been identified as a theatre that no longer competes effectively in the marketplace and will close at the end of business on Nov. 28.”
Another article was published on November 29, 2010 about the closing of the theater:
The screens at Plaza Cinema in River City Mall, Keokuk, went dark for the last time Sunday evening. Theater seats will remain empty and the popcorn machine will stay silent unless a new operator steps in to manage the three-screen theater.
Cindy Schmid, who has managed the theater since 1971, said attendance on the last day of business was normal for a Sunday after a holiday. But there was “a lot of sadness” on the job.
“I had some pretty sad employees that had trouble getting through yesterday,” Schmid said.
Past theater employees stopped by to share photographs and memories with their former boss. Many of them were in high school at the time they worked there.
Moviegoers in the area will need to travel to one of the five theaters nearby, but the closest one is almost 30 miles away in West Burlington, Iowa.
The River City Mall's owners are looking for a new operator for the theater, which opened in the late 1960's as a single-screen theater that was later converted into a three-screen location.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.