Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Plaza 3 Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Closing [3/24]
- Casper, WY: Studio City Mesa to Open March 27th, Downton Iris Stadium 8 Closed [3/23]
- Vineyard, UT: Megaplex Theatres - Geneva & IMAX Now Open [3/20]
- Cleveland Heights, OH: Regal Severance Town Center Stadium 14 Closed [3/20]
- Lawrenceville, GA: GTC Town Center Value Cinemas Closed [3/18]
- Queen Creek, AZ: Harkins Queen Creek 14 Opening March 19, 2015 [3/16]
- Los Angeles, CA: 9-Screen Cinemark Playa Vista and XD Now Open [3/13]
- Nicholasville, KY: AmStar 14 - Brannon Crossing to Become Movie Tavern Location in June 2015 [3/12]
- Lewiston, ME: Flagship Cinemas Closed [3/12]
The Plaza 3 Cinema in Keokuk, Iowa reopened on December 10, 2010 under the management of Eisentraut Theatres, based out of Hillsboro, Illinois. The three-screen theater closed in November 2010 after AMC Entertainment decided not to renew its lease due to poor performance, and the owners of the River City Mall started to pursue other companies to operate the location.
The Daily Gate City in Keokuk published an article on December 29, 2010 about the change in management:
An Illinois movie theater operator came to the rescue of Plaza Cinema in Keokuk just a couple of weeks after AMC Entertainment closed the theater. Eisentraut Theatres’ agreement with River City Mall earlier this month made Plaza Cinema’s shift in ownership one of the top stories of 2010.
AMC, a company that bought out Plaza Cinema’s prior owner Kerasotes Theatres in June, announced Nov. 5 that it would close the theater when its lease expired Nov. 28 (the Sunday after Thanksgiving).
[mall owner Shannon Zetterlund] contacted several small theater holders about the possibility of re-opening the theater under new operation. A “community-friendly” approach and the lure of cheaper concessions and ticket prices made Eisentraut Theatres of Hillsboro, Ill., Zetterlund’s choice for a new operator.
The family-owned company announced Dec. 2 that it had reached an agreement with the mall to operate the Plaza Cinema. The theater re-opened Dec. 10 with “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of Dawn Treader,” “Tangled” and “Burlesque.”
Owned and operated by Jeff Eisentraut, his wife Julie and their children Carey, Madison, Alexandra and Bailey, Eisentraut Theatres’ small franchise also includes four theaters in Central Illinois.
In mid-January, a new stereo sound system and acoustic panels will be installed in Cinema 1. Eisentraut said Cinemas 2 and 3 have better sound quality, so all they need are the acoustic panels.
“We’re going around and trying to work on areas that have the highest customer impact, (things) that customers will notice most,” Jeff said.
The Eisentrauts also plan to remodel the bathrooms and install new carpet and theater floors in the coming months. The concession area may need new equipment soon. Because every customer now gets popcorn with his or her ticket, the current popcorn machine (which served about 25 percent of the customers under previous operation) can’t keep up.
Jeff said Tuesday that he and Julie are considering interior decorations that will give Plaza Cinema the glitz and glam of Hollywood.
“I guarantee you in six months it’ll be a totally different place,” Jeff said.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.