Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 
Add Your Comments
- Watch "Prologue: Last Supper" from "Alien: Covenant" [2/23]
- "World War Z 2" Release Delayed [2/8]
- Tickets for "Beauty and the Beast" Now Available! [1/31]
- New Photos Added for "Monster Trucks" [1/9]
- New Photos Added for "Fences" [12/16]
- Watch Emma Watson in the Trailer for "The Circle" - Photos Added [12/7]
- New Videos and Photos Added for "Passengers" [12/6]
- Trailer and Photos Added for "The Shack" [12/5]
- Watch the Trailer for Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" - 12 Photos Added [12/5]
- New Videos Added for "Assassin's Creed" [12/4]
New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have announced the titles and release dates for Peter Jackson’s two-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which was the basis for The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Jackson took the movie adaptations of those books to great heights, so there is quite a bit of anticipation over what he can do to the story that started it all. The news was announced on the official blog for the production of the movies, and can be found in its entirety in the Read link below.
The first of the two movies will be called The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and it opens Friday, December 14, 2012.
The second movie is titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again and is scheduled for release on Friday, December 13, 2013.
Both movies are being created using 3D digital cameras, and we're anticipating both 2D and 3D releases, and most likely IMAX 3D variations as well.
Fans of The Lord of the Rings movies will see some familiar faces. Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; Ian Holm as the elder Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. Even though some of these characters were not in the original book, the fact that the two movies will be a super-set of the book's storylines will most likely combine with creative license to work them in. Hopefully it's done effectively, and not just a "spot the out-of-place character" game.
To keep up with the latest and greatest news about these movies, be sure to add both to your Favorite Movies list!
If you're new to the Lord of the Rings, or if you've seen the movies, but haven't read the book that started it all, Gift Shop merchant Amazon.com has The Hobbit available in hardcover, paperback, Kindle, and audiobook editions:
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.