Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Hollywood Theater
Add Your Comments
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: "The Princess Bride" Event Coming to the Riverside Theater [7/24]
- North Haven, CT: Cinemark North Haven and XD Now Open [7/24]
- Athens, GA: Carmike Ovation 12 Opens After Renovations [7/20]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Reopened by Landmark Theatres [7/15]
- Cary, NC: Frank Theatres - Parkside Town Commons Stadium 11 & Xtreme Now Open [7/14]
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
The Hollywood Theater in Dormont, Pennsylvania opened its doors again on May 4, 2011 after having closed in May 2010. The nonprofit group Friends of the Hollywood Theater is operating the theater and they are hoping to host film festivals, concerts, and other events in addition to showing movies.
The Pittsburgh-area theater opened to the public on Thursday, May 4, 2011 with a showing of The New Metropolis, a documentary about the first suburbs in America.
According to the theater's web site, the Hollywood Theater first opened its doors as a bowling alley in 1924, but was converted to a movie theater in 1933. The theater closed in 1998, and was re-opened in 2006 after some renovations, which included reducing the seat count to 300 to make the seating more comfortable for audiences. The theater closed again in 2008, and it was re-opened in August 2009, only to close again in May 2010.
Shortly after its opening, the theater closed temporarily during the first week of June so that some filming of The Perks of Being a Wallflower, directed by local native Stephen Chbosky and starring Emma Watson and Paul Rudd, could be done at the theater.
Here's hoping that the Friends of the Hollywood Theater can succeed where others have failed, and that the public embraces this community theater!
Related News Coverage
- Dormont's Hollywood Theater a set for movie scene -- Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Lights back on at Hollywood Theater of Dormont -- Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Dormont's Hollywood Theater slated to reopen -- Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Nonprofit plays role in Dormont movie theater's reopening -- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.