Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Bedford, NY: Bow Tie Bedford Playhouse Closes [1/22]
- Ellsworth, ME: Maine Coast Cinemas 2 Closed [1/22]
- Clinton, MO: B & B Theatres Takes Over Missouri Cinema 6 [1/19]
- Marcus Theatres Adding Amenities to Select Locations [1/19]
- Kelso, WA: Regal Three Rivers Mall 12 & RPX Opens While Regal Three Rivers Mall 5 and Regal Triangle Cinemas 4 Close [1/16]
- 2015 Academy Award Nominations Announced [1/15]
- Students in Select Cities Can See "Selma" Free [1/13]
- Seattle, WA: Landmark Theatres Closes Varsity Theatre and Harvard Exit Locations [1/10]
- 2015 Academy Award Nominations to be Announced January 15, 2015 [1/9]
- Scranton, PA: Marquee Cinemas - Steamtown 8 Closed [12/31]
The UltraStar Flower Hill Cinema in Del Mar, California has closed its doors as of the weekend of June 24, 2011.
After doing some research, it appears that the theater's lease was not renewed by the landlord of the Flower Hill Promenade, the shopping center in which the theater was located. The center is undergoing a revitalization effort which will "...add new shops, boutique office space, a parking structure tucked into the hillside and a Whole Foods market. The revitalization will also refresh the existing shopping center and its collection of unique boutiques and locally-owned shops."
According to a document on the center's web site:
Why have you eliminated the movie theaters?
The most frequently heard concerns from the community during our research was the generation of more traffic. Close to that was concern about parking. Theaters generate significantly greater traffic and require more parking than many other retail uses. Those were the major considerations in making the decision not to renew the UltraStar lease. UltraStar, fortunately, has another theater complex just one exit up the road at Del Mar Highlands. While earlier plans envisioned renovating the theater, there were critics that referred to the theaters as "attractive nuisance," that attracted noisy teens, late night traffic and car noise and other negative impacts.
Fortunately for moviegoers in the area, the UltraStar Del Mar Highlands 8 is located less than a mile away.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.