Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Rosebud Cinema Drafthouse
Add Your Comments
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Closing [3/24]
- Casper, WY: Studio City Mesa to Open March 27th, Downton Iris Stadium 8 Closed [3/23]
- Vineyard, UT: Megaplex Theatres - Geneva & IMAX Now Open [3/20]
- Cleveland Heights, OH: Regal Severance Town Center Stadium 14 Closed [3/20]
- Lawrenceville, GA: GTC Town Center Value Cinemas Closed [3/18]
- Queen Creek, AZ: Harkins Queen Creek 14 Opening March 19, 2015 [3/16]
- Los Angeles, CA: 9-Screen Cinemark Playa Vista and XD Now Open [3/13]
- Nicholasville, KY: AmStar 14 - Brannon Crossing to Become Movie Tavern Location in June 2015 [3/12]
- Lewiston, ME: Flagship Cinemas Closed [3/12]
by Tom Held
of the Journal Sentinel Staff
Reprinted here without permission from the Friday November 22nd, 1996 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Coming attractions at the Tosa Theatre will include a strong emphasis on family-friendly movies and live, community theater productions, the movie house's new owners said Thursday.
Elizabeth Figuroa and Jim Farr frequently repeated the words "community" and "family" as they described their vision for the theater, located at 6823 W. North Ave.
"We hope to be in the community long enough and get community support to the extent (that) we would know our customers by name," Farr said. "That's something that's missing in the big, other types of cinemas."
Figuroa and Farr, of Mequon, are principals in the Amethyst Group, which has agreed to buy the Tosa from Marcus Theatres Corp. Terms of the sale agreement were not released. The theater is assessed at $150,000.
The theater, one of the few single-screen movie houses remaining in the Milwaukee area, has been a landmark on W. North Ave. since the early 1930s.
Marcus has been showing first-run feature films at the Tosa, but with the company concentrating on larger theater complexes with 12 or more screens, Marcus has no plans for a small theater that needs to find its market.
Figuroa and Farr, however, think the area will support a venue dedvoted to children's movies and community theater.
"It's our life; it's our loves, it's our dream," Figuroa said.
Area residents and Paul Ehrfurth, executive director of the Wauwatosa Economic Development Corp., said the Amethyst Group should suceed with the plan it has outlined.
"Even if it's the kind of budget cinema-type thing, or kids thing, or community thing, this is what the neighborhood would support," Ehrfurth said.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.