Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Marcus Apple Valley Theatre
Apple Valley, MN
- Marcus Cambridge Theatre
- Marcus Elk River Cinema
Elk River, MN
- Marcus Hastings Cinema
- Marcus Rosemount Theatre
- Marcus Shakopee Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Birmingham, MI: Palladium 12 Closed [9/9]
- Chula Vista, CA: AMC Chula Vista 10 Now Open [9/8]
- "Gone with the Wind" Returning to Theaters Ahead of Home Video Release for 75th Anniversary [9/3]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Closed [9/2]
- "The Maze Runner" Gets Wider with Extra Screens in "Escape" Theaters [8/29]
- Waynesville, MO: B & B Waynesville Patriot 12 & GS Opens August 29, 2014, Waynesville Cinema 8 Closed [8/28]
- Indianapolis, IN: Cinemark Washington Market 8 Closed [8/28]
- Streator, IL: Majestic Theatre Closed, Up For Sale [8/26]
Aron Kahn, staff writer for St. Paul Pioneer Press, has an article in the December 12, 1997 edition about the Marcus Theatres Corporation purchase of six theaters in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area:
An invasion of the Twin Cities movie-theater market by national chains was joined Thursday by Marcus Theatres of Milwaukee, which announced an agreement to purchase six movie houses owned by Guetschoff Theatre Management, Cambridge.
The theaters changing hands have a total of 44 screens and are located mostly at the edge of the Twin Cities area, where population growth has been strongest.
"We were looking to enter the Twin Cities market," Marcus Theatres president Bruce Olson said, "and we found a little jewel."
The theaters range from five to 10 screens, but Olson said the company will convert some to 14- to 18-screen megaplexes and retrofit most with stadium seating, a steeply sloped configuration that's becoming a staple of new urban theaters. Such theaters advertise "never a blocked view."
Marcus Theatres is a division of Marcus Corp., a hotel and restaurant company whose stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange. The growing theater division currently is the 18th-largest movie-theater company in America with 297 screens. An aggressive growth plan envisions 400 screens within a year, including the 44 from GTI.
Marcus' emergence in the Twin Cities comes in the wake of aggressive megaplex construction all over the region. Eleven such theaters, with a total of 181 screens, are planned to open in less than a year, boosting the area's total by about 50 percent.
Three in Lakeville, Plymouth and Coon Rapids are set to open by Christmas, with the others scheduled to open between early 1998 and early 1999. They are planned for Inver Grove Heights, Eagan, Apple Valley, Oakdale, Mounds View, and Eden Prairie.
If all are built, some existing Twin Cities theaters are bound to close, say experts in the theater business. But there's some question whether all will become reality.
Two different groups of developers, for example, have announced plans to build 20-screen megaplexes across the street from each other in Eden Prairie.
General Growth Properties, Chicago, says it will renovate a nine-screen United Artists theater in Eden Prairie Center into a 20-screen megaplex, and the Centres Group, suburban Milwaukee, says it will build a 20-screen Regal Cinema close-by.
Eden Prairie development director Chris Enger said both are proceeding with plans, but it is possible one will drop out. Each may be trying to scare the other away, he said.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.