Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- New Ways to See and Share Your Reader Reviews [1/12]
- New Navigation with Dropdown Menus [10/21]
- Photo Gallery Upgrades - Larger Photos, Arrow Key Navigation [4/27]
- "Share Links" Added for Theaters to Make Facebook / Social Media Links Easier [6/9]
- The BigScreen Cinema Guide is Now Smartphone-Friendly! [4/29]
- Theaters in Movie Showtimes Now Sorted by Distance or by Theater Name [2/19]
- Theater Showtimes Now Sorted by Release Date by Default, New Date Groups Added [1/30]
- Theater Listings and Movie Showtimes Now Support Geolocation [1/30]
- Box Office Reports Added for Each Movie [1/7]
- "Now Showing" Enhanced with Sticky Options, Faster Speed [5/27]
After being in publication for more than 16 years, we've collected quite a substantial amount of information about movie theaters.
You may already enjoy the ability to view news articles about various movie theaters, as we tag any theaters that we mention in our Journal articles about news headlines, events, and miscellaneous information that we come across.
Take a look at the Journal Entries page for Marcus North Shore Cinemas as an example. Another example of interesting infromation is the number of movie premieres held at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. And those are just the one's we've written about!
You've probably looked through the photos that we post of movie theaters on their Photo Gallery pages, showing you what the theater looks like from the outside and sometimes, on the inside as well. We followed the Marcus Majestic Brookfield in Waukesha, Wisconsin from groundbreaking to grand opening in the 85 photos in its Photo Gallery.
However, if a theater closes, all that information was previously lost. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is primarily focused on movies that are currently playing and the theaters that are playing them, so theaters that are no longer showing movies tended to get shoved aside. That was unfortunate, because there is a lot of history in the United States revolving around movie theaters.
That's why we're happy to announce that you are now able to browse through and search for all theaters, open and closed, in The Marquee!
Your Favorite Theaters page now lists all your favorite movie theaters, whether they are open or not. If you had a great memory from a theater gone by, now you can be reminded each time you visit, and perhaps you can stop by the Reader Comments page and share your memories or some facts that you have about that theater.
The Nearby Theaters page will show you only the actively running movie theaters by default, but you can change that on the right side of the page where you see the option for "Show: All" in the red tab bar. This will include all theaters in our records, whether they are open or closed, with an indication of their status.
Likewise, the By Region page will show active theaters by default, but by selecting the "Show: All" option in the red tab bar, you can see closed theaters in the listings as well.
The Search page also allows you to select the option to search for theaters that are no longer actively showing movies as well.
While our historical records are not exhaustive, we do think that we have quite a bit of information for theaters from the last 16 years that can't be found as easily through other channels. We're hoping that you'll find this new feature worthwhile, and that you'll take a few moments to try it out and please feel free to submit information on the Reader Comments pages for these theaters and tell us your story that's connected to them!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.