Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Ark Lodge Cinemas
Add Your Comments
- Santa Monica, CA: Watch the Extended Versions of All Three LOTR Movies at the Aero Theatre on August 30, 2014 [8/21]
- Lodi, CA: Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Temporarily Closed for Bedbugs [8/20]
- Hollywood, CA: World Premiere of "If I Stay" on August 20, 2014 at Chinese Theatre [8/20]
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
- AMC Theatres to Install IMAX in 11 Locations in Chicago, New York, Newark, and Phoenix [8/19]
- Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - South Lamar Reopens [8/18]
- West Melbourne, FL: Grand Opening of Carmike West Melbourne 12 on August 13, 2014 [8/11]
- Montgomery, AL: Carmike Chantilly 13 Now Open [8/8]
- Salt Lake City, UT: Megaplex to Build 10-Screen Movie Theater at Cottonwood Development [8/2]
- Boston, MA: Museum of Science Opens 4-D Theater [7/31]
The Seattle Times has an article titled "Closure of movie theater leaves some hard feelings" that talks about the aftermath of the closure in May of the Columbia City Cinema in Seattle:
When the Columbia City Cinema closed after a seven-year run, it left thousands in wasted donations and unpaid loans as the fourth independent theater to run into trouble under its now-bankrupt operator.
The vacant building can't be occupied because when Paul Doyle remodeled it, he did so without permits. Fire inspectors found missing sprinklers and alarms, burned-out exit lights and flammable debris.
The May closure has left hard feelings in a neighborhood that has grown from a smattering of restaurants and coffee shops into a destination with stores and a bakery, a theater with live music, a light-rail station and a farmers' market.
The Columbia City locals had helped Doyle raise money to build the theater in an old Masonic Lodge, and repeatedly opened their wallets each time Doyle announced it was on the brink of failure. The total amount donated isn't clear.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Moviegoers in the area have quite a few choices, albeit perhaps not in the same surroundings. There are approximately 12 movie theaters within 5-6 miles of the Columbia City's location.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.