Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Ark Lodge Cinemas
Add Your Comments
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: "The Princess Bride" Event Coming to the Riverside Theater [7/24]
- North Haven, CT: Cinemark North Haven and XD Now Open [7/24]
- Athens, GA: Carmike Ovation 12 Opens After Renovations [7/20]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Reopened by Landmark Theatres [7/15]
- Cary, NC: Frank Theatres - Parkside Town Commons Stadium 11 & Xtreme Now Open [7/14]
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
The Seattle Times has an article titled "Closure of movie theater leaves some hard feelings" that talks about the aftermath of the closure in May of the Columbia City Cinema in Seattle:
When the Columbia City Cinema closed after a seven-year run, it left thousands in wasted donations and unpaid loans as the fourth independent theater to run into trouble under its now-bankrupt operator.
The vacant building can't be occupied because when Paul Doyle remodeled it, he did so without permits. Fire inspectors found missing sprinklers and alarms, burned-out exit lights and flammable debris.
The May closure has left hard feelings in a neighborhood that has grown from a smattering of restaurants and coffee shops into a destination with stores and a bakery, a theater with live music, a light-rail station and a farmers' market.
The Columbia City locals had helped Doyle raise money to build the theater in an old Masonic Lodge, and repeatedly opened their wallets each time Doyle announced it was on the brink of failure. The total amount donated isn't clear.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Moviegoers in the area have quite a few choices, albeit perhaps not in the same surroundings. There are approximately 12 movie theaters within 5-6 miles of the Columbia City's location.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.