Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Marcus College Square Cinema
Cedar Falls, IA
- Marcus Coral Ridge Cinema
- Marcus Sycamore Cinema
Iowa City, IA
- Marcus Crossroads Cinema
- Marcus Addison Cinemas
- Marcus Chicago Heights Cinemas
Chicago Heights, IL
- Marcus Elgin Cinema
- Marcus Gurnee Mills Cinema
- Marcus Orland Park Cinema
Orland Park, IL
- Marcus Duluth Cinema
- Marcus Elk River Cinema
Elk River, MN
- Marcus Hastings Cinema
- Marcus Lakes Cinema
- Marcus Oakdale Cinema
- Marcus Rosemount Cinema
- Marcus Shakopee Cinema
- Marcus Parkwood Cinema
Waite Park, MN
- Marcus Century Cinema
- Marcus West Acres Cinema
- Marcus Twin Creek Cinema
- Marcus East Park Cinema
- Marcus Edgewood Cinema
- Marcus Lincoln Grand Cinema
- Marcus South Pointe Cinema
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Omaha
- Marcus Midtown Cinema
- Marcus Village Pointe Cinema
- Marcus Crosswoods Cinema
- Marcus Pickerington Cinemas
- Marcus Valley Grand Cinema
- Marcus Bay Park Cinema
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Brookfield
- Marcus Hillside Cinema
- Marcus Hollywood Cinema
Grand Chute, WI
- Marcus Green Bay East Cinema
Green Bay, WI
- Marcus La Crosse Cinema
La Crosse, WI
- Marcus Eastgate Cinema
- Marcus Point Cinema
- Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas
Menomonee Falls, WI
- Marcus North Shore Cinemas
- Marcus Northtown Cinemas
- Marcus Southgate Cinema
- Marcus Ridge Cinemas
New Berlin, WI
- Marcus South Shore Cinemas
Oak Creek, WI
- Marcus Oshkosh Cinema
- Marcus Campus Cinema
- Marcus Cedar Creek Cinema
- Marcus Saukville Cinema
- Marcus Sheboygan Cinema
- Marcus Renaissance Cinema
- Marcus Superior Value Cinema
- Marcus Ho-Chunk Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Menomonee Falls, WI: Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas Getting Take Five and Zaffiro's [6/30]
- Grand Junction, CO: Carmike 7 Closed [6/24]
- Lake Charles, LA: Cinemark Movie Bistro Lake Charles Holds Grand Opening [6/23]
- Thousand Oaks, CA: Regal Janss Marketplace 9 Grand Opening on June 9, 2016 [6/8]
- Mooresville, IN: Showtime Cinema Announces 2016 Summer Kids' Movie Series [6/7]
- Monterey, CA: Osio Theater Now Open [5/31]
- Watch Free Movies at Flagship Cinemas During "Camp Flagship 2016" [5/31]
- Free Summer Movies at Santikos Theatres [5/31]
- Watch Free Kid-Friendly Movies This Summer at Allen Theatres Locations [5/27]
- Kids Summer Movies at Megaplex Theatres - 10 Movies 10 Weeks for $10 [5/27]
Early this month, Marcus Theatres announced that it signed an agreement with a subsidiary of Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp. to install Digital Cinema Projection systems in 630 first-run screens at 47 of the company's locations. 64 systems have been installed already, and the remainder are scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011.
This is big news, as it means that nearly all screens under the Marcus Theatres name will be powered by digital projectors instead of 35mm film projectors. While it is possible for film presentations to eclipse the quality of digital cinema presentations, that only happens under an ideal set of circumstances. In our experience, those ideal circumstances haven't been present for quite some time, so this news is very welcome indeed!
“Marcus Theatres is proud to continue its long history of technological innovation and quality by entering into this agreement with Cinedigm to enable the conversion of our circuit to digital cinema and assure that our guests can experience the pristine visual presentations digital cinema offers. The advantages for our guests will be brighter and better focused images and a consistently clear and steady picture with truer, more vibrant colors, whether they see a motion picture on its first showing or in its last week of exhibition,” said Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres.
“The installation of this new digital technology will give us the flexibility to schedule not just major Hollywood motion pictures, but more 2D and 3D presentations of live and recorded non-film programming such as sporting events, music, Broadway plays and many more offerings in all of our markets,” added Olson.
The press release also mentions that this conversion will allow them to increase the number of 3D presentations, but hopefully doing so won't require the highly reflective screens we've seen in some of Marcus' theaters. These screens are reflective to improve the brightness of 3D movies, which is a common complaint among those who attend 3D movies in general. However, the high amount of reflectiveness creates a situation where the image can appear washed-out and the room lighting can be reflected on the screen during the movie.
There's no mention of what kind of equipment is being used in this conversion, as Cinedigm offers equipment from a variety of vendors. The choices that are made during the acquisition process will greatly affect the images customers will see on the screen, so here's hoping that Marcus chooses wisely!
According to the press release Marcus Theatres is the sixth largest movie theater chain in the United States, with 55 locations in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and Ohio. This announcement says that it affects 47 of those locations, and given that it specifically mentions first-run locations, our guess is that their discount and "Value Cinemas" locations will not be receiving new equipment.
Source: Marcus Corporation Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.