Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Carmike Wynnsong 11
Add Your Comments
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
Carmike Cinemas, Inc. will be unveiling the latest of its "BigD" big-screen concept auditoriums at the Carmike Wynnsong 11 in Savannah, Georgia later tonight, July 21, 2011.
The debut happens with a midnight screening of Captain America: The First Avenger 3D, with the first full day of operation being tomorrow, July 22, 2011. A gala VIP opening will be held tonight, honoring over 400 soldiers from the Army's 3rd Infantry division based at Fort Stewart.
The new auditorium features a screen that measures 79 feet across and "over three stories tall" with a Digital Cinema Projection system capable of both 2D and 3D presentations and backed up with a 7.1 channel surround sound system. Plush leather seating in the stadium seating auditorium rounds out the amenities that audiences will be able to enjoy if they choose the "BigD Experience."
To make that choice, however, it is going to cost you some of those dollar bills you have in your pocket. Seeing Captain America: The First Avenger 3D in the BigD auditorium is going to run an adult $15.75 for an evening show on Friday and Saturday, which is $2 more than the same movie in the non-BigD auditorium. 3D normally adds $3 to the price of a movie at this location, and it's not perfectly clear what a non-3D movie will cost in the BigD auditorium over the standard $10.25 price for a Fri/Sat evening show.
These upcharges are not unique to this location or the Carmike chain. Every theater chain that has created these "enhanced" auditoriums adds a surcharge for the pleasure of getting what should be the best experience possible at that location. (One could argue that these "enhanced" presentations should be the norm, rather than the exception, and that a surcharge should not be necessary...)
If you've attended a show at the Wynnsong's BigD auditorium, please let others know what you think about the experience and if it really is "enhanced" or not, by going to the Reader Comments page for the theater and add your comments there!
Carmike Cinemas owns and/or operates about 240 locations in 36 states. The chain focuses on small to mid-sized communities for its theater locations.
Source: Carmike Cinemas, Inc. Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.