Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas - La Costa
- Edwards Rancho Niguel 8
Laguna Niguel, CA
- Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas - Del Mar
San Diego, CA
Add Your Comments
- Santa Monica, CA: Watch the Extended Versions of All Three LOTR Movies at the Aero Theatre on August 30, 2014 [8/21]
- Lodi, CA: Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Temporarily Closed for Bedbugs [8/20]
- Hollywood, CA: World Premiere of "If I Stay" on August 20, 2014 at Chinese Theatre [8/20]
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
- AMC Theatres to Install IMAX in 11 Locations in Chicago, New York, Newark, and Phoenix [8/19]
- Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - South Lamar Reopens [8/18]
- West Melbourne, FL: Grand Opening of Carmike West Melbourne 12 on August 13, 2014 [8/11]
- Montgomery, AL: Carmike Chantilly 13 Now Open [8/8]
- Salt Lake City, UT: Megaplex to Build 10-Screen Movie Theater at Cottonwood Development [8/2]
- Boston, MA: Museum of Science Opens 4-D Theater [7/31]
Mexican exhibitor Cinepolis is opening their first U.S. location today, the Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas in San Diego, California. The theater was previously the UltraStar Del Mar Highlands 8, which closed in December 2010.
The newly remodeled theater in the Del Mar Highlands Town Center is a luxury operation that will cater to customers looking for an upscale experience that includes wine by the glass, sushi, and a full bar. All this luxury is going to cost you some extra money, though, as admission prices are predicted to be $17.50 for an adult and a margarita will set you back $12.
According to an article in the Del Mar Times Wednesday, close to $7 million was spent on the overhaul to bring it up to the level that Cinepolis wanted in its debut splash in the United States:
Cinepolis’ difference is noticed right away in the theater lobby, which features floor to ceiling windows, glossy wood floors, and a cluster of cozy, stylish couches and tables to grab a bite from the gourmet concession stand where champagne is chilling and decadent desserts are on display.
Cinepolis is the only movie theater in San Diego to have a full bar, which serves wine, beer, champagne and signature cocktails such as a Skinny Margarita or Cool as A Cucumber, with vodka, fresh cucumber and a splash of agave nectar.
The theater still features eight screens, but each auditorium only has 65 seats. Those seats are reclining chairs with tables in between and a table that can swivel over your lap. Chairside wait service is also available. The emphasis is clearly not on herding masses of people in and out like cattle in a stockyard.
According to an article in The Hollywood Reporter, Cinepolis is the world's fourth-largest theater chain with more than 2,500 screens. An article in the North County Times confirms mentions in the other articles that the chain is planning additional U.S. locations in North San Diego County and throughout Southern California over the next few years.
The next location to open will be in Carlsbad, California, on the site of the former UltraStar La Costa 6 at 6941 El Camino Real, by the end of 2011. Another project at the former Edwards Rancho Niguel 8 in Laguna Niguel has a mid-2012 opening date scheduled.
If you attend this theater, please be sure to leave your comments on the Reader Comments page for the theater so that your fellow readers can benefit from some first-hand reports of what the theater is like!
- Luxury movie theaters opening at Del Mar Highlands Town Center July 22 [July 20, 2011] -- Del Mar Times
- Luxury Movie Theatre Opens in North County [July 22, 2011] -- San Diego Channel 6
- Mexico's Cinepolis Going First-class in the U.S. [July 18, 2011] -- The Hollywood Reporter
- Cinepolis coming to U.S. [June 1, 2011] -- North County Times
The San Diego Reader has quite a few photos and a write-up by staffer Matthew Lickona as he visited a preview event at the theater. They're worth checking out to get a good impression of the theater:
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.