Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Carmike 14 - Tyler
Add Your Comments
- New York, NY: Landmark Theatres Plans New 8-Screen Theater [8/24]
- Newark, DE: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Cinemark Christiana and XD [8/23]
- Gainesville, FL: Construction Begins on Regal Cinemas in Celebration Pointe [8/23]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts at Palo Alto Square Closing Delayed Until September [8/18]
- Fort Wayne, IN: Carmike Jefferson Pointe 18 + IMAX Enforcing Curfew [8/18]
- Fort Lee, NJ: iPic Theaters Hudson Lights Opens Tomorrow [8/10]
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts Palo Alto Square to Close in August 2016 [7/25]
Carmike Cinemas, Inc. will be unveiling the latest of its "BigD" big-screen concept auditoriums at the Carmike 14 - Tyler in Tyler, Texas on July 28, 2011.
The debut happens with a special premiere showing of Cowboys & Aliens tomorrow at 7pm with the proceeds benefitting the East Texas Food Bank.
"We're providing the ultimate entertainment experience that centerpieces large format digital with a bigger screen, bigger and better sound, plus luxurious in-theater seating for cutting edge presentation and the definitive enjoyment of our audiences," notes David Passman, Carmike's President and CEO.
The new auditorium features a screen that measures 62 feet across and "nearly three stories tall" with a Digital Cinema Projection system capable of both 2D and 3D presentations and backed up with a 7.1 channel surround sound system. Plush leather seating in the stadium seating auditorium rounds out the amenities that audiences will be able to enjoy if they choose the "BigD Experience."
To make that choice, however, it is going to cost you some of those dollar bills you have in your pocket. Seeing Cowboys & Aliens in the BigD auditorium is going to run an adult $10.75 for an evening show on Friday and Saturday, which is $2 more than the same movie in the non-BigD auditorium.
These upcharges are not unique to this location or the Carmike chain. Every theater chain that has created these "enhanced" auditoriums adds a surcharge for the pleasure of getting what should be the best experience possible at that location. (One could argue that these "enhanced" presentations should be the norm, rather than the exception, and that a surcharge should not be necessary...)
If you've attended a show at the new BigD auditorium, please let others know what you think about the experience and if it really is "enhanced" or not, by going to the Reader Comments page for the theater and add your comments there!
Carmike Cinemas owns and/or operates about 240 locations in 36 states. The chain focuses on small to mid-sized communities for its theater locations.
Source: Carmike Cinemas, Inc. Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.