Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Avatar 
- Avatar 2 in 3D 
- Avatar 3D 
- Avatar: Special Edition 
- Avatar: Special Edition 3D 
- Avatar Special Edition: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- Avatar: An IMAX 3D Experience 
Add Your Comments
- Get Your First Look at the Trailer for "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" on Friday, Nov 28th [11/25]
- Remembering "The Terminator" on its 30th Anniversary with an Interview with Van Ling and Ian Nathan [10/28]
- "Avengers: Age of Ultron" Teaser Trailer Now Available Ahead of Schedule After It Leaked [10/23]
- The Death of Physical Media is Far From Imminent [10/1]
- Los Angeles, CA: New Beverly Cinema Bucks the Digital Cinema Trend and Goes 35mm Only [9/9]
- Bill Murray Suggests Leads for All-Female "Ghostbusters" Movie [9/9]
- "Toy Story that Time Forgot" Coming to ABC in December 2014 [7/25]
- Bad Robot Tweets IMAX Camera on Star Wars Set [7/11]
- Road and Track Spies Electric Harley Davidson on Set of "Avengers: Age of Ultron" [7/2]
- Chicago, IL: Lucas Museum of Narrative Art (LMNA) Announces Chicago Location [6/25]
Avatar took theaters by storm in December 2009, and Avatar 3D remains the best contemporary example of 3D on the big screen. The movie took a familiar theme of a soldier going into a forbidding environment populated by savages (only to find out that the real savages aren't the natives, but his own kind), set it on an alien planet, and delivered it with amazing visuals that literally changed how (many) movies since then have been made.
TM & © 2007 Twentieth Century Fox - All Rights Reserved - Not for sale or duplication.
The movie emphasizes quite a few environmental messages, including living in harmony with the natural world, and it's perhaps this aspect (as well as its commercial appeal) that has Walt Disney Parks and Resorts joining forces with Avatar Director James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to create an Avatar-themed area inside Disney's Animal Kingdom park in Orlando, Florida.
“James Cameron is a groundbreaking filmmaker and gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creativity, technological innovation and delivering the best experience possible,” said Robert A. Iger, President and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “With this agreement, we have the extraordinary opportunity to combine James’ talent and vision with the imagination and expertise of Disney.”
“AVATAR created a world which audiences can discover again and again and now, through this incredible partnership with Disney, we'll be able to bring Pandora to life like never before. With two new AVATAR films currently in development, we'll have even more locations, characters and stories to explore,” said James Cameron. “I'm chomping at the bit to start work with Disney's legendary Imagineers to bring our AVATAR universe to life. Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experiential storytelling, and give park goers the chance to see, hear, and touch the world of AVATAR with an unprecedented sense of reality.”
The agreement gives Disney exclusive rights to creating other Avatar parks in the future, but none have been announced besides the one in Orlando. While it would be cool for an Adventures by Disney trip to take us to see the floating mountains of Pandora, we'll have to be content with seeing that wonderful world in the confines of the theme park brought to life through the creativity of the Walt Disney Imagineering team. Construction on the Orlando project is set to begin in 2013.
That timeframe is well-planned, as the release of Avatar 2 3D is planned for December 2014.
Source: Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.