Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
- AMC Theatres to Install IMAX in 11 Locations in Chicago, New York, Newark, and Phoenix [8/19]
- Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - South Lamar Reopens [8/18]
- West Melbourne, FL: Grand Opening of Carmike West Melbourne 12 on August 13, 2014 [8/11]
- Montgomery, AL: Carmike Chantilly 13 Now Open [8/8]
- Salt Lake City, UT: Megaplex to Build 10-Screen Movie Theater at Cottonwood Development [8/2]
- Boston, MA: Museum of Science Opens 4-D Theater [7/31]
- Covington, LA: Movie Tavern Northshore Opening July 31, 2014 [7/25]
- Youngstown, OH: Cinemark Movies 8 Reopens as Boardman Movies 8 [7/18]
- "The Giver: World Premiere Red Carpet Event" Coming to Select Theaters Ahead of Movie's Release [7/14]
Cinemark will open a new Cinemark XD (Extreme Digital Cinema) theater in Monterey, California in early December 2011, according to a press release issued by the company this week. The Cinemark Monterey Cannery Row XD will be located in the Edgewater Packing Company building on Cannery Row, which was the home of the Cannery Row IMAX, which closed in November 2010.
"At Cinemark, our main focus is to create the best movie-going experience possible. Our guests across the country rave about Cinemark XD," comments Alan Stock, Cinemark’s Chief Executive Officer. "The new Cinemark Monterey Cannery Row XD theatre will be the perfect complement to our existing Century Monterey 13 theatre and will open in time for this holiday season's biggest movies, including Sherlock Holmes, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, War Horse and many others."
Cinemark's other XD installations have been add-ons or conversions of existing screens at their multiplexes, whereas this one appears to be a standalone XD screen, much like the IMAX screen was before it. The quote above even talks about the fact that they consider this XD location to be a complement to the Century Monterey 13, which is only 3 miles away.
The new XD theater will have all the usual XD amenities, including a large screen ("wall-to-wall and ceiling-to-floor"), plush seating, and a custom sound system capable of 7.1 channels. The Digital Cinema Projection system will be capable of 2D and RealD 3D presentations.
Source: Cinemark Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.