Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
The Peoria Journal Star is reporting that the Peoria Theater in Peoria, Illinois will close on September 15, 2011. The two-screen theater is located inside the Landmark Cinemas at the Landmark Recreation Center and was known for their art-house movie selection and the ability to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with the movie.
"We're very disappointed to have to close," said Jay Goldberg of Jay Goldberg Events and Entertainment, which runs the venue. "We thought it was going pretty successfully. We were able to draw some great, (independent) first-run films."
Goldberg said the management of Landmark Recreation Center was willing to renew the theater's lease, but the rent would be raised significantly.
"Unfortunately, the amount of rent they wanted is not doable for an independent film center," he said. "The amount of people who go to see the movies has not been strong enough to afford us to pay more rent. If they would continue to keep the rent the same, we would renew our lease without hesitation."
Bill Lanzotti, general manager of Landmark Recreation Center, said the venture wasn't producing the revenue that was expected over time. Lanzotti also said the space could be better utilized by being returned to Landmark Cinemas, especially during the busy Christmas and summer movie seasons. Landmark may look into creating a dinner-and-a-movie deal with Bullpen Sports Bar, located at the complex, he said.
Lanzotti said Landmark won't likely keep the liquor license.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
It opened in February 2009 and is the only movie theater in Peoria to have a liquor license.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.