Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Island Cinema
Newport Beach, CA
Add Your Comments
- Pleasant Hills, PA: Carmike Southland 9 Closed [8/25]
- New York, NY: Landmark Theatres Plans New 8-Screen Theater [8/24]
- Newark, DE: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Cinemark Christiana and XD [8/23]
- Gainesville, FL: Construction Begins on Regal Cinemas in Celebration Pointe [8/23]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts at Palo Alto Square Closing Delayed Until September [8/18]
- Fort Wayne, IN: Carmike Jefferson Pointe 18 + IMAX Enforcing Curfew [8/18]
- Fort Lee, NJ: iPic Theaters Hudson Lights Opens Tomorrow [8/10]
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
The theater formerly known as the Edwards Island 7 in Newport Beach, California has reopened as the Island Cinema, an upscale theater offering at-your-seat dining and drink service. The seven screen theater opened to the public on December 16, 2011 in the Fashion Island shopping center.
The theater's auditoriums feature stadium seating with oversized seats that have wide arm rests and lots of leg room thanks to rows that are spaced further apart than traditional movie theater seats. Every auditorium is equipped with Sony's 4K Digital Cinema Projection systems, and three are capable of 3D presentations.
Photo courtesy the Island Cinema. Copyright © 2002-2012 The Irvine Company LLC, All Rights Reserved.
Movies will be presented without commercials preceding them and all seating is reserved. Seat locations can be reserved when buying tickets at the box office or though the "Theater Concierge" at the theater, who can also assist with dining reservations at restaurants in Fashion Island.
Customers will be able to enjoy sandwiches, specialty pizzas, quiches, vegetarian spring rolls, pastries, and other menu items. Drinks include specialty coffee, premium beer, champagne, and wine.
In the press release for the theater's opening was the following statement:
"We are excited to unveil a truly spectacular theater complex for the holiday movie season," said Dan Sheridan, president of Irvine Company Retail Properties. "We are dedicated to providing the best possible experience for shopping, dining and entertainment, and this beautiful new theater will be the perfect addition to Fashion Island for locals and visitors alike."
The theater's grand opening was marked with two events that benefitted local charities. On December 13th, 2011, the Newport Beach Film Festival held a movie screening that benefitted the annual film festival, which is held in the city each spring. The next day, Fashion Island and ocean conservation nonprofit Oceana presented an "Evening at the Cinema," which featured martinis, a movie, and restaurant tastings from Roy's, Island Hotel Newport Beach, Cafe Beau Soleil, California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, and Daily Grill.
Irvine Company owns Fashion Island and the Island Cinema, and they have contracted with Regal Cinemas to manage the theater. This is fitting, as the theater was previously a Regal-owned Edwards location.
To find out what's playing at the Island Cinema and when, head over to the Showtimes page! If you've attended the theater, be sure to leave some comments for your fellow readers on the Reader Comments page.
Source: The Irvine Company Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.