Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Londonderry, NH: Apple Tree Mall Cinema 12 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Lansing, IL: Lansing Cinema 8 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: AutoNation IMAX 3D Theater Closed for Renovation - Reopening Scheduled for October 10, 2014 [9/29]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Reopens as AMC Sunrise 8 [9/29]
- Springfield, OR: Discount Cinemark Movies 12 Closing [9/26]
- Florence, OR: Florence Cinemas Reopens as City Lights Cinemas [9/26]
- Yuma, AZ: Main Street Cinemas Closed [9/24]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Babylon, NY: Bow Tie Babylon Theater Closed [9/12]
The Chaska REX in Chaska, Minnesota closed on Wednesday, January 25, 2012, leaving the city in the southwestern Twin Cities metro area without a movie theater.
The Chaska Herald reported on the closure yesterday, mentioning that the closure was posted on the theater's Facebook page, and they were able to get a response from Glenn Baird, owner of Five Star Cinemas, which operated the Chaska REX:
Since acquiring the cinema in Aug of '04 there has been countless group of employees and managers who have tried and gave it their best effort to make it a success. Unfortunately, the Rex has struggled financially ever since.
It is a great little theater that tried, but just couldn't get over the hump.
The Rex has created countless memories for many people over the years. With the coming transition to digital cinema in our industry, the ever increasing operating costs, we struggled to find the point where we might realize a turnaround and cannot justify continuing.
I sincerely appreciate all of our great and loyal guests who kept us going to this point, unfortunately, we were not able to win over enough of them to stay viable.
Chaska is a great community. Competition for entertainment dollars is tough, I wish the Rex could have succeeded.
Click the Read link below to view the full article and comments from their readers.
This isn't the first time we've seen the Digital Cinema transition blamed for the closure of a small theater, and it won't be the last. The costs involved create a situation where theaters on the edge of failure are pushed over that edge.
Moviegoers in Chaska will need to do a little driving to see movies now, with the Chanhassen Cinema and Marcus Shakopee Town Square both about five miles away. There are a total of eight theaters within 15 miles, so other choices are available. Just not within walking distance of downtown Chaska.
Do you have memories of the Chaska REX theater?
Be sure to leave a message on the Comments page for the theater and share your memories with your fellow readers!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.