Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Grand Junction, CO: Carmike 7 Closed [6/24]
- Lake Charles, LA: Cinemark Movie Bistro Lake Charles Holds Grand Opening [6/23]
- Thousand Oaks, CA: Regal Janss Marketplace 9 Grand Opening on June 9, 2016 [6/8]
- Mooresville, IN: Showtime Cinema Announces 2016 Summer Kids' Movie Series [6/7]
- Monterey, CA: Osio Theater Now Open [5/31]
- Watch Free Movies at Flagship Cinemas During "Camp Flagship 2016" [5/31]
- Free Summer Movies at Santikos Theatres [5/31]
- Watch Free Kid-Friendly Movies This Summer at Allen Theatres Locations [5/27]
- Kids Summer Movies at Megaplex Theatres - 10 Movies 10 Weeks for $10 [5/27]
- Watch Family Movies for Free at These Marquee Cinemas Locations [5/27]
The CEC Theatres - Faribo West Mall Theatre in Faribault, Minnesota closed on February 1, 2012, according to a posting on the theater's web site.
The Faribault Daily News published an article about the theater's closing that day. An interview with Tony Tillemans, the Vice President of CEC Theatres, blamed low revenue and upcoming expenses related to the industry-wide conversion to Digital Cinema Projection systems:
Tillemans, vice president of CEC Theatres, said the decision to close the Faribault theater has been a long time coming.
Tillemans said Cinema 6 has been a low-grossing theater for a long time, probably because of the lack of stadium seating, which became popular after Cinema 6 was built. Now, with the movie industry switching to all-digital technology by 2013, Tillemans said the cost of new equipment outweighed keeping the theater open.
It would cost anywhere from $75,000 to $100,000 per screen to change the equipment to digital; and Tillemans said Cinema 6 was already being limited on which movies it could show because the 35-millimeter film prints are becoming harder to come by.
“Faribault has a nice-sized community,” Tillemans said. “But it’s sandwiched in with theaters that already offer stadium seating and digital equipment.”
The Faribault Daily News published an article about the impact of the theater's closing on the Faribo West Mall, which recently lost WalMart as a tenant:
Faribo West Mall has gone through many changes in its more than 30-year run, including losing its connection to Wal-Mart, losing retail businesses and, most recently, losing Cinema 6.
In 2006, when the mall and Wal-Mart severed their connection so Wal-Mart could expand, Faribo West Mall lost a few businesses that couldn’t move into smaller, available spaces. With the changing economy, the mall has also lost smaller, independent businesses.
The article features interviews with mall store workers and mall attendees, mostly denying that the mall is dying and that the theater's closure was just one more nail in the coffin. The article mentions that the theater will most likely be converted back into retail space, which is what it was before it was converted into a movie theater.
The theater was the only movie theater in the City of Faribault, which is located about an hour South of Minneapolis. Moviegoers will now have to travel to the CEC Theatres - Northwoods Cinema 10 about 11 miles away in Owatonna. The CEC web site says that gift cards and passes for the closed theater will be accepted at the Owatonna location.
CEC Theatres owns and/or operates 17 locations in Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.