Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Joy Theater
New Orleans, LA
Add Your Comments
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
The historic Joy Theater in New Orleans, Louisiana was featured in an article recently in USA Today, talking about the restoration done on the theater after it was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005:
Kenneth Gowland, like most architects, isn't used to conducting building surveys in a boat. But when it came time to revive the historic Joy Theater in downtown New Orleans, there was just no other way.
Gowland recalls the scene when he first entered the theater last July to survey the building for restoration.
"At no point did anyone pump it out," said Gowland, owner of MetroStudio in New Orleans. "(The Joy Theater) was filled with nasty, stagnate water."
In 2005, the theater had been closed almost two years when Hurricane Katrina blew off much of its roof. The exposed, below-grade building collected large amounts of water as the storm devastated the city.
Gowland said the decision by four private developers to restore the theater reflects a growing realization that there are great business opportunities in the city's historical core.
Click the Read link below to read the full article.
According to the theater's web site, the Joy Theater opened February 7, 1947. While it did have a small stage, its primary use was as a movie theater. It closed briefly in 1978, but then closed for good in 2003.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.