Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Rolling Stones: At the Max 
- Cineplex Odeon - Yonge & Dundas Cinemas
- Cinesphere Ontario Place IMAX
- Ontario Science Centre IMAX
- Scotiabank Theatre Toronto
Add Your Comments
- Marina, CA: Century Marina and XD Opens [10/8]
- Carmike Cinemas Acquires Sundance Cinemas, LLC. [10/7]
- Burbank, CA: An Overview of the "Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime" at the AMC Burbank 16 [10/7]
- Birmingham, MI: Palladium Theatre Reopens as 5-Screen Luxury Movie Theater [10/5]
- Washington, DC: Landmark Atlantic Plumbing Cinema to Open October 15, 2015 [10/5]
- San Diego, CA: Angelika Film Center & Cafe to Open October 9, 2015 [10/2]
- La Jolla, CA: Movies Come to The LOT [10/2]
- Rochester, MN: Wehrenberg Rochester Galaxy 14 Cine Getting IMAX, Losing Mega Screen [9/30]
- Duncansville, PA: Carmike 12 - Altoona Opens October 1, 2015 [9/30]
- Bellevue, WA: AMC Loews Factoria 8 Closed Temporarily for Seating Upgrades [9/29]
The very first IMAX theater has gone dark, as the Cinesphere Ontario Place IMAX in Toronto, Ontario has closed due to a 5-year "revitalization" project of the Ontario Place waterfront park.
The closure appears to have happened with the announcement on February 1, 2012 that the provincial government was closing most of Ontario Place while plans for the park are pursued. While some areas of the park will remain open, the IMAX theater will not. They are planning to reopen the new Ontario Place in 2017 to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary.
The IMAX web site states that the first permanent IMAX projection system was installed at Ontario Place's Cinesphere in Toronto in 1971.
The Ontario Place web site documented a renovation that happened to the IMAX theater in 2011, where a new IMAX 3D (film) projector was installed, as well as a new sound system, screen, and 615 stadium-style seats (down from 752).
The Cinesphere is a geodesic dome, but its 80' wide by 60' high screen was flat (not an IMAX Dome). Digital sound was added in 1991 for the Toronto premiere of Rolling Stones: At the Max.
IMAX movie fans in the Toronto area are going to have to look elsewhere for their really-big-screen fix. The nearest IMAX theaters are now AMC Yonge & Dundas 24, Scotiabank Theatre Toronto, and Ontario Science Centre IMAX (a dome). We're not sure about the sizes of these screens, however, so beware the less-than-really-big IMAX experience.
Related News Articles
- Ontario Place to Shut Down, Effective Immediately; Revitalization Effort to be Led by John Tory -- torontoist.com
Do you have memories of the Cinesphere IMAX?
Feel free to leave a message on the Reader Comments page for the Cinesphere Ontario Place IMAX, so that future readers will know what it was like to attend this theater!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.