Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Roxy Theatre
Add Your Comments
- If You Have QuickTime for Windows, Read This Security Warning [4/15]
- Examining Some of What Makes the Score to "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" Great [2/23]
- Watch All Eight Best Picture Nominees at the Marcus Theatres Best Picture Festival [2/18]
- Watch All Eight Best Picture Nominees at AMC's Best Picture Showcase [2/18]
- Watch a Documentary About Making "The Revenant" [2/4]
- New York, NY: Martin Scorcese and Others Pay Their Respects to the Now-Closed Ziegfeld Theater [1/29]
- "The Revenant: The IMAX Experience" in Select Theaters Starting January 14, 2016 [1/14]
- Christopher Nolan to Use 65mm and IMAX Film to Make "Dunkirk" [1/11]
- Milwaukee, WI: Landmark Downer Theatre Celebrating 100th Anniversary [12/1]
- Caledonia Man Has a Home Theater with Wurlitzer Organ [12/1]
The historic Roxy Theatre in Northampton, Pennsylvania was featured recently on WFMZ-TV Channel 69. Owner Richard Wolfe is interviewed and reflects on the history of the Roxy and what he's done to keep the crowds coming in.
Despite getting attractions like rock and rollers Bobby Vinton, Bobby Rydell and Fabian, the handwriting seemed to be on the wall. By the 1970s the Roxy’s run appeared to be over.
Using a combination of stage performances by budding stars like Billy Joel and John Belushi and gradual restoration of the theater, Wolfe was able to bring the Roxy back from the brink. Today its 450 seats have made it one of the top-grossing, second-run, single-screen theaters around.
“On an average day we get 200 customers and sometimes sell out on weekends,” says Wolfe. Most, he says, are young families or what he calls the “over 40 audience,” who remember Saturday matinees. It is comforting to know that even in an era of I-pods and Droids, there is still some place where movies are “better than ever.”
Some time ago, the Roxy Theatre was kind enough to supply us with some photos of the magnificent theater. Just looking at those photos and seeing the video in the link above makes me want to drive out to Pennsylvania and experience it for myself!
To find out what's playing at the Roxy Theatre, head over to their Showtimes page.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.