Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Roxy Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Bonita Springs, FL: Prado Stadium 12 Featured in Spotlight Magazines [3/4]
- Note Added to "Noah" Explaining That It's Not a Documentary [2/28]
- Buy One Oscar Nominee Ticket at AMC, Get One Free (conditions apply) [2/10]
- Barnes & Noble Stores Hosting Events Tied to "The LEGO Movie" [1/21]
- Entertainment Weekly Interviews Ben Affleck About "Gone Girl" [11/24]
- See a 5-Minute Clip for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Before "Thor: The Dark World 3D" [10/23]
- High-Def Digest Reviews "The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience" at the Newly Remodeled TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood [9/24]
- 20th Century Fox to Distribute Jesus Christ Movie 'Son of God' [9/12]
- Newton, IA: Valle Drive-In Wants Your Vote for a Free Digital Projector [8/23]
- Hollywood, CA: See "The Little Mermaid 3D" at El Capitan Starting Sept. 20th [8/22]
The historic Roxy Theatre in Northampton, Pennsylvania was featured recently on WFMZ-TV Channel 69. Owner Richard Wolfe is interviewed and reflects on the history of the Roxy and what he's done to keep the crowds coming in.
Despite getting attractions like rock and rollers Bobby Vinton, Bobby Rydell and Fabian, the handwriting seemed to be on the wall. By the 1970s the Roxy’s run appeared to be over.
Using a combination of stage performances by budding stars like Billy Joel and John Belushi and gradual restoration of the theater, Wolfe was able to bring the Roxy back from the brink. Today its 450 seats have made it one of the top-grossing, second-run, single-screen theaters around.
“On an average day we get 200 customers and sometimes sell out on weekends,” says Wolfe. Most, he says, are young families or what he calls the “over 40 audience,” who remember Saturday matinees. It is comforting to know that even in an era of I-pods and Droids, there is still some place where movies are “better than ever.”
Some time ago, the Roxy Theatre was kind enough to supply us with some photos of the magnificent theater. Just looking at those photos and seeing the video in the link above makes me want to drive out to Pennsylvania and experience it for myself!
To find out what's playing at the Roxy Theatre, head over to their Showtimes page.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.