Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- The Godfather: Part II 
- The Godfather 
- The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration 
- The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration
Add Your Comments
- Washington Township, NJ: Washington Township Cinemas Opening Under New Management November 3, 2016 [10/27]
- New Caney, TX: Cinemark Movie Theater Coming to Valley Ranch Town Center [10/26]
- Stafford, VA: Regal Aquia 10 Closed [10/21]
- Brooklyn, NY: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Downtown Brooklyn Opening October 28, 2016 [10/19]
- Kapolei, HI: Luxury Movie Theater Opening at Ka Makana Ali'i on October 21, 2016 [10/17]
- Orland Park, IL: Marcus Orland Park Cinema to Upgrade Seating [10/14]
- J.K. Rowling Says There Will Be Five "Fantastic Beasts" Movies [10/13]
- Oak Brook, IL: AMC Oakbrook Center 12 Opens [10/13]
- Abingdon, VA: Moonlite Drive-In Theatre Plans Revival [10/10]
- Pikesville, MD: Pikes Theatre Closed [10/9]
Select Cinemark theaters will be hosting a special screening of The Godfather on Thursday, March 1, 2012 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release of the landmark movie, which was first released in theaters March 15, 1972.
This edition of the movie is actually The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration which began in 2006 as a project to restore the movie using the best source materials that could be found. Noted archivist Robert A. Harris worked with the original cinematographer, Gordon Willis, to create a reference edition of the movie that matched the original frame-by-frame. Their efforts on the first movie, as well as The Godfather: Part II, were released for home video on DVD and Blu-ray in September 2008. (The Godfather: Part III was also released in that set, but it did not require the extensive restoration work of the other two)
The press release from Cinemark labeled this event as showing the "The Coppola Restoration of “The Godfather” 40th Anniversary Edition" but it does not appear to be any different than the version that was released on home video back in 2008.
"There is no greater iconic film than 'The Godfather,'" states James Meredith, VP of Marketing and Communication at Cinemark. “It has set the standard for story-telling, launched a generation of great actors, and provided movie-goers an unparalleled experience. Cinemark is excited to give fans of this movie the opportunity to now see it like never before in our extremely popular XD auditoriums, which offer a complete entertainment environment featuring enormous wall-to-wall and ceiling-to-floor screens, plush seating, and custom JBL sound systems with higher end components and 7.1 capable digital surround sound."
Cinemark also plans to show The Godfather: Part II on April 19, 2012.
To see which theaters are playing The Godfather near you, visit the Showtimes page for the movie and you will see the list of theaters and their showtimes. It appears that some Cinemark theaters are showing it on March 22nd instead of March 1st, so that would be another option.
Given that the movie is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, there's a good chance that more theaters will be showing it throughout 2012, so those theaters will be shown on the Showtimes page for the movie as well.
Have You Seen The Godfather?
If you've seen the movie, whether it was back when it was released in theaters in 1972 or another time in a movie theater, or if you've watched it on home video, please take a moment and share some thoughts by writing a Reader Review for The Godfather. We only have three reviews right now, and surely such a monumental movie deserves more than that, no?
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.