Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Paradise Theaters
West Bend, WI
Add Your Comments
- "The Maze Runner" Gets Wider with Extra Screens in "Escape" Theaters [8/29]
- Waynesville, MO: B & B Waynesville Patriot 12 & GS Opens August 29, 2014, Waynesville Cinema 8 Closed [8/28]
- Indianapolis, IN: Cinemark Washington Market 8 Closed [8/28]
- Streator, IL: Majestic Theatre Closed, Up For Sale [8/26]
- Frostburg, MD: R/C Theatres Closes R/C Cinemas 1-2-3, Employees Launch Effort to Reopen [8/25]
- Teicher Theatres Closes All Locations [8/25]
- Santa Monica, CA: Watch the Extended Versions of All Three LOTR Movies at the Aero Theatre on August 30, 2014 [8/21]
- Lodi, CA: Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Temporarily Closed for Bedbugs [8/20]
- Hollywood, CA: World Premiere of "If I Stay" on August 20, 2014 at Chinese Theatre [8/20]
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
In a recent Reader Comment for the Nova Paradise Theatre in West Bend, Wisconsin, one of our readers pointed out that the theater's Tuesday promotion of bringing your own bag and having it filled with popcorn for free was stopped by the government.
We checked it out, and we found a January 8, 2012 story published in the Washington County section of the Fox6Now.com web site that provides some details:
Movie goers in West Bend have long enjoyed the Tuesday bring-your-own-bag popcorn promotion at the Paradise Theatre, 2014 Parkway Dr.
Since the theatre opened in the mid-1990s customers would pay admission on Tuesday, bring their own bag and the clerk at the concession stand will fill it with free popcorn.
Butter and refills were available at an added expense.
That promotion however, is no more due to a recommendation from the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection.
“This was not written up as a violation,” said Donna Gilson public information officer with the State.
“This was a recommendation that the theatre stop this practice because if the bag comes in and it’s dirty and you haven’t washed your hands, bacteria is getting on that bag; even if you use a scoop for the popcorn – the scoop goes right down in the bag and some kernels bounce out into the bin and that’s where the cross contamination possibility comes from,” she said.
The same recommendation, said Gilson, applied to the theatre’s Wednesday promotion where customers bring their own cup to get a free soda. That practice is no longer allowed either.
Paradise Theatre manager Sanford Cohn said he has never had any problem since starting with the company in 2005. Cohn confirmed, nobody had ever gotten sick or was killed by the theatre’s free-popcorn promotion.
“I’m not going to argue; I just want to keep the peace,” he said.
In an effort to continue the promotions, the theatre now pays for 32-ounce bags and 12-ounce cups. Free popcorn is still provided on Tuesday and a free small soda on Wednesday.
Click the Read link below for the full article.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.