Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Kent Theatre
South Whitley, IN
Add Your Comments
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
WANE-TV reported that the Kent Theatre in South Whitley, Indiana was destroyed by a fire on Saturday, February 18, 2012:
State Road 5 in South Whitley is now back open after it was closed most of the day Saturday due to a fire at the Kent Theatre. The fire was ruled under control, but one department was still on the scene as of 7:45 p.m.
Whitley County dispatchers said the fire started around 11:30 a.m. and no injuries were reported.Crews did not have a cause for the fire.
The South Whitley fire spokesperson on the scene said because the ceilings are so high in the building, crews were having a hard time getting the fire under control. At one point, firefighters from three different departments were on the scene and two more were on standby.
Click the Read link below for the full article. The article mentions that the theater was being used as a church, but we do not have any information about when it last showed movies.
In a follow-up article on their web site, WANE-TV interviewed a woman who worked there when it opened July 3, 1947:
“When this was built I was 17. That was July 3, 1947 and the movie was $.35 and the popcorn was $.10,” said Thomson. “It's sad. My husband heard about it and got in the van. He didn't ask me to go. What he didn't know was, I was going to say no because I didn't want to see this burn.”
Moviegoers in the South Whitley area have to drive a little to get to a theater, but there are seven theaters within 20 miles.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.