Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Daniel M. Soref National Geographic Dome Theater
Add Your Comments
- Mount Lebanon, PA: Newly Renovated Carmike Galleria 6 Set to Open April 25, 2014 [4/18]
- Lansing, IL: Digiplex to Acquire Lansing Cinema 8 [4/9]
- Milwaukee, WI: Watch "The Wizard of Oz" with a Live Orchestra [4/8]
- Milwaukee, WI: New Sign Proposed for Avalon Theatre, July 2014 Opening Planned [3/31]
- Los Angeles, CA: Regency Village Theatre to Host Los Angeles Premiere of "Trancscendence" [3/26]
- Bel Air, MD: Flagship Cinemas - Churchville Sold to Digiplex [3/24]
- San Diego, CA: Digiplex Mission Valley Becomes UltraStar Location Again [3/18]
- Aurora, CO: AMC Debuts "Red Kitchen" Dining Concept at AMC Southlands 16 [3/11]
- Franklin, TN: IMAX Opens at Carmike Thoroughbred 20 [3/10]
- San Jose, CA: Days Are Numbered for Movies at the Dome Theaters [3/10]
The Milwaukee Public Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin is exploring what the future should be for the Humphrey IMAX Dome Theater that is part of the museum complex, according to an article published today in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
The future of the IMAX system and brand is coming under scrutiny by Milwaukee Public Museum, as attendance at the Humphrey IMAX Dome Theater dipped over the past year.
3-D or 4-D? IMAX or another brand?
Those and other issues will be explored by Bob Bonadurer, the museum's IMAX and Planetarium director, in a report to be completed before September. The study was ordered by Museum President Dan Finley, to help determine how to best outfit the theater as large-screen movie technology advances and the theater copes with a local IMAX competitor.
"There are major looming issues regarding the IMAX," Finley told museum board members, including the museum's lease on its IMAX system expiring in two years, the availability of high-quality IMAX films appropriate to the museum and potential upgrades to the theater.
Click the Read link for the full article.
The museum's IMAX theater is a "Dome" configuration, which means that the image is projected onto the inside of a partial sphere, with the viewer in the inside of that sphere. This format was referred to at one time by the name "Omnimax." No mainstream IMAX movies are created in this format (they are intended to be shown on flat IMAX screens), which causes the image to be distorted when projected on the rounded IMAX Dome screen. This limits the theater's ability to show non-documentary IMAX movies effectively.
Compounding the challenges faced by the Humphrey IMAX Dome is the October 2009 opening of an IMAX screen at the AMC Mayfair Mall 18 in Wauwatosa, less than 10 miles west of the museum.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.