Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Birmingham, MI: Palladium 12 Closed [9/9]
- Chula Vista, CA: AMC Chula Vista 10 Now Open [9/8]
- "Gone with the Wind" Returning to Theaters Ahead of Home Video Release for 75th Anniversary [9/3]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Closed [9/2]
- "The Maze Runner" Gets Wider with Extra Screens in "Escape" Theaters [8/29]
- Waynesville, MO: B & B Waynesville Patriot 12 & GS Opens August 29, 2014, Waynesville Cinema 8 Closed [8/28]
- Indianapolis, IN: Cinemark Washington Market 8 Closed [8/28]
- Streator, IL: Majestic Theatre Closed, Up For Sale [8/26]
The Pleasant Street Theatre in Northampton, Massachusetts will close on June 8, 2012, according to a press release issued by the Amherst Cinema Arts Center today.
“This was not a decision we came to lightly, or without sadness,” said Carol Johnson, Executive Director of the Amherst Cinema Arts Center. “And it was not a decision about the future of independent film and world cinema in our Valley,” she said.
“Our Valley loves film! This decision was about how best to fulfill our mission and how to use our future resources to meet the growing needs of an expanding regional audience.”
“We gave it our all, and evaluated many options for keeping the Pleasant Street Theater open before concluding that the theater is physically inadequate as a venue in which to continue our mission,” said Johnson.
“We would have been looking at significant expenditures just to stay current with the technology that is essential for vibrant arts programming today.”
“Also, today’s audiences expect good sight lines and a comfortable theater-going environment, two things the size and configuration of the Pleasant Street Theater make impossible. On top of that, the theater, which we rent, is not handicapped-accessible and cannot be made so because of space limitations. These factors, combined with the costs of updated technology, led to the decision to focus our efforts in a way that best serves our audience.”
The Amherst Cinema Arts Center re-opened the theater after it closed in 2007. Together with the Amherst Cinema Arts Center in Amherst, the theater showed arthouse movies as well as educational and cultural programs. As an example of the theater's lineup, they are showing Headhunters (Hodejegerne), Repo Man, and Sound of My Voice today.
The Amherst location will remain open and will be the focus of the non-profit group after the Northampton location closes. It was built and opened in 2006, so it is a newer facility and is capable of showing alternative programming, such as ballet performances and live theater broadcasts from Britain's National Theatre.
Special farewell screenings are being planned for Friday, June 8 and will be announced later.
Source: Amherst Cinema Arts Center Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.