Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Mainstreet
Kansas City, MO
- "The Interview" Release Scrapped [12/17]
- Des Moines, IA: Flix Brewhouse to Open in Merle Hay Mall December 17, 2014 [12/16]
- Des Moines, IA: Merle Hay Mall Cinema Closes, Flix Brewhouse to Open in Mall on Wednesday [12/16]
- Rocklin, CA: Studio Movie Grill Opening Soon [12/12]
- Baldwin, NY: Bow Tie Grand Avenue Cinemas Closed [12/11]
- Next James Bond Movie Has a Title: "Spectre" - Look at the Poster, the Car, see the Cast List, and watch the Announcement! [12/4]
- Carlsbad, CA: Moviemax Closes, Regal Carlsbad 12 Set to Open December 11, 2014 [12/3]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
The AMC Mainstreet 6 in Kansas City, Missouri closed on June 20, 2012 and will reopen soon under the management of Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas as the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - Mainstreet.
The change comes from a split between AMC Entertainment Inc. and the building's owner, which was announced on June 18, 2012. The Kansas City Business Journal published an article about the split that provided some details:
More than three years after opening the Mainstreet 6 movie theater in downtown Kansas City’s Power & Light District, AMC Entertainment Inc. says it will cease its operating role there on Wednesday. That makes way for Alamo Drafthouse Cinema to run the theater.
CEO Gerry Lopez said Monday that management will be turned over entirely to The Cordish Co., which has co-operated the theater with AMC.
Lopez said that although the movie side of the business typically broke even or made a small profit, the lounge and food service continued to lose money. That led to attempts to reduce the theater’s expenses through such measures as less maintenance, staffing and security, he said.
“We’ve got certain standards we want to maintain in the way we run the building,” he said. “When the operation comes under financial stress, we’re not apt to cut those corners. To say it politely, other folks have different points of view.”
Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas is popular in Texas, and now has locations in Colorado and Virginia as well, with more on the way (see all current locations).
The theater is currently closed, but they hope to re-open soon and will be making changes over the next few months to make it more like the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema experience elsewhere.
“The Mainstreet Theater is truly one of the most spectacular cinemas in the world,” says Alamo founder and CEO Tim League. “We are truly honored to have the opportunity to bring the Alamo brand of movie programming and food service to such a wonderful facility.”
Their Showtimes page will be updated as soon as we get the information from them, so check that page out from time to time to see what will be playing!
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.