Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Cineplex Odeon - Courtney Park Cinemas
- Cineplex Odeon - Winston Churchill Cinemas
- Cineplex Odeon - Yonge & Dundas Cinemas
- Cineplex Odeon - Forum Cinemas
Add Your Comments
- Londonderry, NH: Apple Tree Mall Cinema 12 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Lansing, IL: Lansing Cinema 8 Now a Carmike Cinemas Location [9/30]
- Fort Lauderdale, FL: AutoNation IMAX 3D Theater Closed for Renovation - Reopening Scheduled for October 10, 2014 [9/29]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Reopens as AMC Sunrise 8 [9/29]
- Springfield, OR: Discount Cinemark Movies 12 Closing [9/26]
- Florence, OR: Florence Cinemas Reopens as City Lights Cinemas [9/26]
- Yuma, AZ: Main Street Cinemas Closed [9/24]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Babylon, NY: Bow Tie Babylon Theater Closed [9/12]
Cineplex Inc., the largest theater chain in Canada, has acquired four locations from AMC Entertainment. The locations are:
- Cineplex Odeon - Courtney Park Cinemas - Mississauga, ON
- Cineplex Odeon - Winston Churchill Cinemas - Oakville, ON
- Cineplex Odeon - Yonge & Dundas Cinemas - Toronto, ON
- Cineplex Odeon - Forum Cinemas - Montreal, QC
The new theaters will operate under the Cineplex Odeon brand and any remaining 35mm film projection equipment will be converted to Digital Cinema Projection systems and may see such Cineplex features as their UltraAVX™ big screen concepts, VIP Cinemas (reserved seating, in-seat dining, etc.), or XSCAPE Entertainment Centres (games, etc.), according to the press release issued in late June.
“Our operating and programming expertise, combined with our merchandising, media, marketing, interactive and SCENE loyalty programs, will positively and significantly impact the business while also providing guests with additional benefits,” said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO, Cineplex Inc. “We are also very pleased to extend employment to approximately 250 theatre employees who will now become Cineplex employees.”
Cineplex Entertainment now owns/operates over 130 locations in Canada and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
This sale is the second by AMC in Canada in as many months. In June, two locations were sold to Empire Theatres, which now leaves AMC with just two locations left in Canada. One can imagine that it's just a matter of time before those are sold or closed, marking AMC's exit from the country altogether.
Source: Cineplex Inc. Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.