Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Maya Cinemas Bakersfield 16
- Maya Cinemas Pittsburg 16
- Maya Cinemas Salinas 14
Add Your Comments
- "The Interview" Release Scrapped [12/17]
- Des Moines, IA: Flix Brewhouse to Open in Merle Hay Mall December 17, 2014 [12/16]
- Des Moines, IA: Merle Hay Mall Cinema Closes, Flix Brewhouse to Open in Mall on Wednesday [12/16]
- Rocklin, CA: Studio Movie Grill Opening Soon [12/12]
- Baldwin, NY: Bow Tie Grand Avenue Cinemas Closed [12/11]
- Next James Bond Movie Has a Title: "Spectre" - Look at the Poster, the Car, see the Cast List, and watch the Announcement! [12/4]
- Carlsbad, CA: Moviemax Closes, Regal Carlsbad 12 Set to Open December 11, 2014 [12/3]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
The Brenden Pittsburg 16 in Pittsburg, California closed in April 2012 when the property owner decided not to renew the lease held by Brenden Theatres, saying that they wanted to improve the theater and bring in a new operator, Maya Cinemas. In the Journal Article we posted in March, they were quoted as saying that they were hoping for a Memorial Day or June opening, but it took a little longer than that.
The good news is that today is the first day for the new Maya Cinemas Pittsburg 16! The theater opened its doors today to the public and moviegoers will have their first chance to see the newly remodeled areas. The former 16-screen theater will have 10 screens running on opening day, with plans to increase that to 15 by November, according to an article in the Mercury News:
"The show starts on the outside ... I was searching for exciting colors for a building to jump up and say 'come inside.' We wanted to make a statement," said Frank Haffar, president and chief operating officer of Maya Cinemas, as workers put the finishing touches on the property.
Inside, there is a huge lobby with a 50-foot-long concession stand. The auditoriums have been completely redone with a state-of-the-art sound system, leather rocking seats, and new wall-to-wall screens.
"The vision is to really create a first-class, state-of-the-art-theater," Haffar said.
When it opens, the Maya will have 10 screens showing movies, a number that will increase to 12 a couple weeks later. By the end of November, the theater will be operating with 15 screens, Haffar said.
(Since Maya Cinemas is referring to the theater as the "Maya Cinemas Pittsburg 16," it makes one think that they are eventually planning to have a total of 16 screens again, so perhaps the 15 number in the article is a typo.)
If you would like a sneak peek at the new theater, the Mercury News also posted a series of photos that were taken on July 24th.
To see what's playing at the Maya Cinemas Pittsburg 16, head over to their Showtimes page and make your plans!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.