Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Mount Lebanon, PA: Newly Renovated Carmike Galleria 6 Set to Open April 25, 2014 [4/18]
- Lansing, IL: Digiplex to Acquire Lansing Cinema 8 [4/9]
- Milwaukee, WI: Watch "The Wizard of Oz" with a Live Orchestra [4/8]
- Milwaukee, WI: New Sign Proposed for Avalon Theatre, July 2014 Opening Planned [3/31]
- Los Angeles, CA: Regency Village Theatre to Host Los Angeles Premiere of "Trancscendence" [3/26]
- Bel Air, MD: Flagship Cinemas - Churchville Sold to Digiplex [3/24]
- San Diego, CA: Digiplex Mission Valley Becomes UltraStar Location Again [3/18]
- Aurora, CO: AMC Debuts "Red Kitchen" Dining Concept at AMC Southlands 16 [3/11]
- Franklin, TN: IMAX Opens at Carmike Thoroughbred 20 [3/10]
- San Jose, CA: Days Are Numbered for Movies at the Dome Theaters [3/10]
The Business Journal is reporting that the Avalon Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin may finally get the renovations it needs to be re-opened by owner Lee Barczak:
View Larger Map
The Avalon Theatre in Milwaukee’s Bay View neighborhood could undergo renovations starting in November and reopen in December 2013, according to Ald. Tony Zielinski.
The historic theater at 2469-2483 S. Kinnickinnic Ave. closed in 2000, and several attempts to reopen it have gone nowhere. But Zielinski is confident owner Lee Barczak will succeed this time, he said.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Barczak recently purchased the Times Cinema and Rosebud Cinema Drafthouse at a sheriff's auction, and he is planning to open those two theaters this month. Apparently, owning all three theaters has placed him in a better position to get all three into operation. He has been trying to reopen the theater since he bought the property in 2005.
According to the book Milwaukee Movie Palaces by Larry Widen and Judi Anderson, the Avalon Theatre opened in 1929 and seated 1,637 people in its single auditorium. It closed in 2000 and hasn't shown movies since.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.