Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Trailer for "Terminator: Genisys" Now Available [12/4]
- Lenoir, NC: Carmike Westgate Twin [12/4]
- Trailer for "Jurassic World" Released Ahead of Schedule [11/25]
- Teaser Trailer for "The Divergent Series: Insurgent" Just Released [11/13]
- Watch the Trailer for "Taken 3" [9/30]
- Photos Added for "No Good Deed" [9/5]
- Final Trailer Added for "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" [6/19]
- New Photos Added for "Think Like A Man Too" [6/17]
- New Photos and Videos Added for "22 Jump Street" [6/6]
- "Jupiter Ascending" Moved to February 2015, "Run All Night" Bumped [6/5]
IMAX audiences got a treat earlier this summer when The Dark Knight Rises: The IMAX Experience was shown in some film-based IMAX theaters (read the article), which was arguably the best possible picture quality for the movie's presentation.
I was glad to have attended one of those presentations, but the silver screen installed at the movie theater wasn't the best way to see a non-3D movie due to the "shinyness" of the projected image. Director Christopher Nolan was pretty stoked about his movie being shown in IMAX film theaters (some of the sequences were shot using film-based IMAX cameras), and the attention it received got us to thinking that maybe film-based IMAX isn't dead yet.
When the announcement came through that Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark: The IMAX Experience was being released next month in conjunction with the first-ever Blu-ray release of all four movies in the Indiana Jones series, there was some hope that we would get the chance to see Mr. Jones race against the boulder in film-based IMAX glory.
That is not the case, however, as every report that I've seen about the release makes no mention of the availability of a film print, and several have mentioned that this is a digital-only release.
The movie opens in IMAX theaters nationwide on September 7, 2012 and is planned to last only one week, so if you're interested, be sure to visit the Showtimes page for opening day and find a theater near you!
Otherwise, one of our Gift Shop merchants has a great price on the four-movie set right now and you can have it delivered to your home on its release date of September 18, 2012. (Mine is already ordered)
Which Way Do You Want to Watch Indy?
Would you rather see Indiana Jones on a really big IMAX screen, or would you rather buy the box set and gather your friends for a movie night? Leave your comments below!
- 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' on IMAX: Here's What You Need to Know -- High Def Digest
- IMAX Sets ‘Raiders Of Lost Ark’ Re-Release -- Deadline Hollywood
- 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' to Get Imax Rerelease - The Hollywood Reporter
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.