Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Cinebarre Arboretum 11
Add Your Comments
- Pittsburgh, PA: Cinemark North Hills and XD to Open September 19, 2014 [9/17]
- North Haven, CT: Rave Cinemas North Haven 12 to be Replaced by New 14-Screen Cinemark Theater in 2015 [9/12]
- Babylon, NY: Bow Tie Babylon Theater Closed [9/12]
- Birmingham, MI: Palladium 12 Closed [9/9]
- Chula Vista, CA: AMC Chula Vista 10 Now Open [9/8]
- "Gone with the Wind" Returning to Theaters Ahead of Home Video Release for 75th Anniversary [9/3]
- Sunrise, FL: Frank Theatres - Sunrise 11 Closed [9/2]
- "The Maze Runner" Gets Wider with Extra Screens in "Escape" Theaters [8/29]
- Waynesville, MO: B & B Waynesville Patriot 12 & GS Opens August 29, 2014, Waynesville Cinema 8 Closed [8/28]
- Indianapolis, IN: Cinemark Washington Market 8 Closed [8/28]
The Cinebarre Arboretum 11 in Charlotte, North Carolina opened on August 10, 2012 in the space of the former Regal Arboretum Stadium 12, which closed in May. It lost one screen in the process, but it gained a new level of service... in the form of food and drink service to your seat.
It also lost one of the top annoyances that adults have about going to the movies: unsupervised children. The new theater only welcomes guests under 18 if they are accompanied by a parent or guardian, and youngsters less than 3 are only welcome during specially-marked events. One of the primary reasons for the age restriction is the inclusion of alcoholic drinks in addition to the food and beverages available for order.
The Charlotte Observer reviewed the new theater recently and here is an excerpt from the article:
The Charlotte area this month landed its third new “cinema eatery,” and this one – Cinebarre in south Charlotte – may or may not be the best of the bunch.
But it’s a contender. And there’s no doubt about this: It’s the biggest. By far.
My main concern, going in, was that having servers running around during the movie would be distracting. Amazingly, it’s not. Between each row is a walkway, a foot lower than the row being serviced, where servers can bring or clear food and drinks.
The focus on adults: When you walk into the lobby, it feels grown-up. Instead of cardboard cutouts of characters from animated movies, walls are adorned with vintage posters for flicks like The Rolling Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” and “Superman”; instead of crane games, there are pool tables; and the centerpiece of the room is an expansive bar.
If there are nits to pick, most center around the eating experience. The counters are just far enough away that it’s hard to decide whether to lean way forward and eat over the plate on the counter, or to sit with the plate on your lap. I chose the former method, and managed to get pizza sauce on my jeans.
Click the Read link below for the full article.
Overall, the theater sounds like many other such theaters around the country. Rather than appeal to the masses and count on volume to pay the bills, this theater is going for the adults and counting on the fact that they'll enjoy (marked-up) drinks and food with the movie. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, and we think that offering adults options like this is a good way to go, as long as there are kid-friendly venues available nearby.
To see what's playing at the new theater, please visit the Showtimes page for the Cinebarre Arboretum 11!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.