Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Criterion Theatre
Bar Harbor, ME
Add Your Comments
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
The Criterion Theatre in Bar Harbor, Maine has paid the city $4,000 for a fine imposed on it because of unapproved elements on their newly-restored marquee, according to an article in the Bangor Daily News:
After months of negotiations, the Criterion Theater has paid a fine levied by the town over the theater’s reconstructed marquee.
By paying the $4,000 fine and signing a consent agreement with the town, the theater will be allowed to keep the marquee as it is and there will be no ongoing permitting issues for the property as a result of the existing marquee, according to Rob Jordan, president of the theater’s board of directors.
Town officials issued the fine late in 2009 because the new marquee hanging over the theater’s entrance on Cottage Street contained certain elements that had not been approved by the town’s design review board. The word “The” and the year “1932,” which refer to when the theater was built, and two strips of neon lighting were installed on the marquee though they were not among the design elements approved by the board in December 2007.
The theater subsequently received town approval to keep “1932” and the strip of green neon on the bottom of the marquee, but was told it still would have to remove the word “The” and the strip of blue neon on the marquee’s top edge.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Google Maps shows a Street View of the theater from September 2007, with the marquee before the restoration:
And here is a photo from Flickr of the sign as it appeared August 14, 2009:
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.