Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Savanna Times Theater
Add Your Comments
- Austin, TX: Bob Bullock IMAX Theatre Closed Temporarily for Digital Conversion [1/26]
- Springfield, MA: Entertainment Cinemas - Springfield Plaza Closed [1/25]
- Valley Stream, NY: Sunrise Multiplex Cinemas Closed [1/23]
- Bedford, NY: Bow Tie Bedford Playhouse Closes [1/22]
- Ellsworth, ME: Maine Coast Cinemas 2 Closed [1/22]
- Clinton, MO: B & B Theatres Takes Over Missouri Cinema 6 [1/19]
- Marcus Theatres Adding Amenities to Select Locations [1/19]
- Kelso, WA: Regal Three Rivers Mall 12 & RPX Opens While Regal Three Rivers Mall 5 and Regal Triangle Cinemas 4 Close [1/16]
- 2015 Academy Award Nominations Announced [1/15]
- Students in Select Cities Can See "Selma" Free [1/13]
The Savanna Times Theater in Savanna, Illinois closed August 5, 2012, and the owner posted a message on the web site saying that the theater was for sale. In our Journal Article about the closure, we found that the next closest movie theater was 20 miles away, so Savanna moviegoers were going to have to travel to see movies on the big screen.
The good news is that the theater is scheduled to re-open on Friday, September 7, 2012 under the new ownership of Jeri and Chip Colgan. The Prairie Advocate published a short article recently about the new owners taking over:
There’s a saying that goes “when one door closes, another one opens” and that’s literally true for the Savanna Times Theater.
The venerable business, which was closed in 2008, only to be reopened shortly afterward, closed again recently, with “The Dark Knight Rises” being it’s last shown film. However, the theater will very shortly be reopening once again, under new stewardship.
Jeri Colgan and her husband, Chip are now readying the theater for it’s projected early September debut under their tenure. Colgan says that she and her husband had been frequent patrons of the theater and would like to see a theater stay in Savanna. She says that they’ve been cleaning and decorating the theater in preparation for their opening day, with plans to feature a free movie for patrons on that day.
Click the Read link below to view the full article and see a photo of the new owners.
The theater's Facebook page mentioned on Monday that they would be open for business this Friday, September 7, 2012. Good luck to the Colgan's as they embark on a business venture that brings the movies back to Savanna!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.