Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Summit Plaza Theater
Holts Summit, MO
Add Your Comments
- 2015 Academy Award Winners [2/22]
- Vista, CA: Krikorian MetroPlex 15 at Vista Village Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Vista [2/19]
- Pico Rivera, CA: Krikorian Pico Rivera Village Walk 15 Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Pico Rivera [2/19]
- Los Angeles World Premiere of "Focus" on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 [2/19]
- Bloomington, IL: Carmike Ovation Cinema 10 Now Open [2/18]
- Joliet, IL: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [2/11]
- Yulee, FL: Grand Opening for Carmike Coastal Cinemas 10 Scheduled for February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Midlothian, VA: Carmike 10 - Richmond Reopening in March as Carmike Ovation 10 [2/11]
- Seattle, WA: Varsity Theatre Reopens February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Canton, IL: Garden Theatre Closed [1/30]
The Summit Plaza Theater in Holts Summit, Missouri closed August 19, 2012. A posting on the theater's web site explains that they could not make the transition to Digital Cinema Projection systems and make what they saw as necessary improvements to the building they were leasing:
Dear friends of the theater, we will be closing our doors August 19, 2012. It has been great fun serving you the past several years. We have done well with the theater, operating longer and with more success than previous operators in recent history. We have no lack of customers, or shortage of business. It is simply timing.
The upcoming transition to digital projection would require both a significant financial investment, and a legal commitment to operate in this building for several years. We have had ongoing issues with both the run-down facility and the management here, so staying put was not our first choice.
For the past 18 months, we looked into building a new larger theater facility in Holts Summit, without success. We attempted to purchase the current property at Summit Plaza, in order to make a needed addition and deal with maintenance issues ourselves, but the property owner was not interested in selling. Finally, we attempted to negotiate a lease here that would include improvements needed to the property, but the owner isn't interested in investing in the property. Those were our options, and they are exhausted.
Operating this old theater has been an experience we will never forget, and we are so grateful for the support of the community, and the friends we have made here. We hope you will continue to visit the theater until our very last day, and remember us as fondly as we will remember you.
Thanks for the memories!
Mike and Heidi Frese and Staff
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.