Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- "The Interview" Release Scrapped [12/17]
- Des Moines, IA: Flix Brewhouse to Open in Merle Hay Mall December 17, 2014 [12/16]
- Des Moines, IA: Merle Hay Mall Cinema Closes, Flix Brewhouse to Open in Mall on Wednesday [12/16]
- Rocklin, CA: Studio Movie Grill Opening Soon [12/12]
- Baldwin, NY: Bow Tie Grand Avenue Cinemas Closed [12/11]
- Next James Bond Movie Has a Title: "Spectre" - Look at the Poster, the Car, see the Cast List, and watch the Announcement! [12/4]
- Carlsbad, CA: Moviemax Closes, Regal Carlsbad 12 Set to Open December 11, 2014 [12/3]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
The Pioneer Press is reporting that the Mann Theatres - Cottage View Drive-In in Cottage Grove, Minnesota will close for good after the 2012 season. The drive-in theater just southeast of Minneapolis and St. Paul opened in 1966, but when the summer movie season comes next year, the Cottage View Drive-In won't be lighting up the night sky in Cottage Grove.
A goodbye party for the metro area's second-to-last drive-in theater has been set for Sept. 27.
The owners of the Cottage View Drive-In Theater will host a free party and movie to commemorate 46 years in business. The drive-in is expected to be torn down and replaced by a Walmart.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Mann Theatres is hoping to keep the drive-in open through some time in October. After it closes, the nearest drive-in will be the Vali-Hi Drive-In, which is about 8 miles away in Lake Elmo.
The theater appears to have been on life-support for the last couple of years. In May 2010, a Facebook group called "Save the Cottage View Drive-In" was created to rally support for the theater, and it attracted over 17,000 people to like their page.
However, the costs associated with the impending industry transition to Digital Cinema Projection systems made it difficult to justify keeping the theater open (according to this article in the Star Tribune on Sept. 6th) and an offer from WalMart for the property was probably too good to resist.
Do You Have Memories of the Cottage View Drive-In?
Theaters like this are more than movie screens in large fields; even when the screens are no longer lit, the people made it what it is and it's the memories that can last longer than the places ever will. If you would like to share a memory of going to this theater, please leave a message on the Reader Comments page for the theater. If you have any photos that we can archive on the Photo Gallery page, please contact us and we'll work out the details with you!
Update: thanks to Save the Cottage View Drive-In on Facebook, we have six photos in the Photo Gallery so far!
Photo above was provided by Save the Cottage View Drive-In on Facebook. Used with Permission. Our thanks for the contributions to our Photo Gallery!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.