Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Prometheus 
Add Your Comments
- Universal Pictures Commits to Ultra HD Blu-ray Releases Starting in Summer 2016 [4/20]
- "Joy" Coming to Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, and DVD on May 3, 2016 [3/8]
- "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" Comes to Home Video in April 2016 [3/3]
- "Daddy's Home" Coming to Blu-ray March 22, 2016 with DTS:X Soundtrack [2/29]
- "The Big Short" Coming to Home Video March 15, 2016 [2/18]
- Ultra HD Blu-ray Movies and Samsung's Player Starting to Appear [2/17]
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Announces First Round of Movies to Be Released on Ultra HD Blu-ray [12/30]
- "Crimson Peak" Coming to Blu-ray February 9, 2016 with DTS:X Soundtrack [12/8]
- Get 15% off Fandango Gift Card orders of $75 this Black Friday and Cyber Monday - Ends 11/30/15 [11/27]
- Sony Pictures Announces Its First 4K Ultra HD Titles - Arriving in Early 2016 [11/11]
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced yesterday that they would be releasing several of their movies for sale online before those titles are available on DVD and Blu-ray. The first movie to be released in their "Digital HD" initiative is Ridley Scott's Prometheus.
That movie was released in theaters June 8th, 2012, and it is available now through Amazon Instant Video, iTunes, CinemaNow, Google Play, PlayStation, VUDU, Xbox Live, and YouTube. It will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on October 9, 2012, which is 20 days from now. That makes the first time it's available at home just 103 days after its theatrical release, which is quick, but not unheard of as the studios continually strive to release their movies to the home sooner and sooner after the theatrical release date.
At just a penny under $15, the price is attractive compared to buying the movie on disc, but physical disc releases typically come with extras and additional viewing options that aren't available in download-only purchases. For example, the Blu-ray set from Amazon is currently $24.99 and it comes with the movie on Blu-ray, DVD, and digital copy for easy download onto a tablet, phone, or laptop. Additionally, Blu-ray releases tend to come with quite a few extras, including featurettes, deleted scenes, and other content that adds value to the total package.
Amazon Instant Video Player
Some people just want the movie, though, and as long as you're OK with that and you can play the movie on the devices you want to play it on, downloading it today saves you money and you get to see it nearly three weeks sooner!
“With almost 800 million broadband connected devices globally, and millions of people accessing entertainment on those devices, we feel the medium’s time has come,’’ said Mike Dunn, President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. “DIGITAL HD™ redefines digital ownership in a way that presents consumers with a full range of benefits in a coherent way, and it allows them the chance to build digital movie collections that can literally be carried in the palms of their hands.”
Other movies that will be released online in advance by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment include Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Ice Age: Continental Drift, The Watch, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. All of these are still playing in some movie theaters, so you can see how this could impact the ability of movie theaters to do business on second-run movies.
Source: Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Press Release
How Will You Watch Prometheus?
Are you interested in purchasing and downloading movies instead of buying them in a physical package of discs? Does the advance date attract you at all? Let us know what you think by leaving your comments below!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.