Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Arcata, CA: Minor Theatre Closed [2/9]
- Heath, OH: Regal Indian Mound 11 to Reopen in April as AMC Indian Mound Mall 9 [2/8]
- Sarasota, FL: Cobb CineBistro at Westfield Southgate Opening Friday, February 12, 2016 [2/5]
- Silverdale, WA: Regal Silverdale Cinemas 4 Closed [2/4]
- Closter, NJ: Bow Tie Closter Cinemas Closed [2/3]
- San Diego, CA: Reading Cinemas Gaslamp 15 Closed [2/2]
- East Windsor, NJ and Berlin, CT: Carmike Cinemas Acquires Two Former Starplex Cinemas Locations from AMC [2/2]
- Santa Monica, CA: Laemmle's Monica Fourplex Now Open as Laemmle Monica Film Center [2/2]
- Newark, CA: AMC NewPark 12 Now Open [2/2]
- Hawthorne, NY: All Westchester Saw Mill Multiplex Cinemas Closed, Car Dealership Coming [1/29]
The AMC Block E 15 in Minneapolis, Minnesota closed September 23, 2012 because its lease ran out, and AMC was unable to persuade the landlord to extend it, even after going to court.
The StarTribune published an article on September 13, 2012 which outlined the situation:
The curtains will close at Block E's movie theater later this month, leaving downtown without a movie theater for the first time since 2002.
An AMC Theaters spokesman, Ryan Noonan, said Wednesday that the 15-screen theater will close at the end of the day on Sunday, Sept. 23. AMC didn't want to move, but lost a legal fight with building owners earlier this year to extend their lease.
AMC is the latest in a string of retailers to move out of the complex on 6th Street and Hennepin Avenue, which opened in 2002 after receiving a massive city subsidy.
Among the remaining tenants are the Shout House piano bar, Kieran's Irish Pub, Jimmy John's and Starbucks. Of those, only Shout House is located inside the building.
The article goes on to mention that after failing to gain support for a casino, the owners of Block E are now pursuing converting as much space as possible to office space. Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Before AMC took over the operation in 2010, the theater was known as the Crown Block E Stadium 15, which was built in 2002. The closure of the Block E 15 theater means that Minneapolis has joined the ranks of other large cities that do not have downtown movie theaters. The closest movie theater that we could find playing movies in current release is the St. Anthony Main, which is located across the river on Main Street SE. For more options (if you're willing to travel further), take a look at this list of nearby theaters to the AMC Block E 15.
Related News Articles
- Downtown's only movie theater, Block E AMC, to close Sept. 23 -- StarTribune [Sept 13, 2012]
- Block-E AMC Theatre to close on Sept. 23 -- Fox 9 KMSP-TV [Sept 12, 2012]
- Last movie showing at Block E as AMC moves out -- Fox 9 KMSP-TV [Sept 24, 2012]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.