Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- The Polar Express 
- The Polar Express: An IMAX Experience 
Add Your Comments
- Jefferson, WI: Highway 18 Outdoor Theatre Featured on News 3, New Photos Added [7/20]
- Collectible "Terminator Genisys" Posters and Tickets at 3D Showings at AMC, Carmike, Cinemark, Marcus, and Regal Locations [6/29]
- Watch the First Five Minutes of "Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" in IMAX Theaters Ahead of "Terminator Genisys: An IMAX 3D Experience [6/29]
- "AMC Cares Summer Throwbacks" Movie Series Benefits Charity with Past Hits [6/5]
- "Jaws" Returns to the Big Screen for its 40th Anniversary [5/29]
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
IMAX staffer Hugh Murray posted an entry on the IMAX blog about their first mainstream 3D IMAX release, The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience, which was released in November 2004.
Here is an excerpt from that blog posting:
Finding the right opportunity to develop our first 3D feature film was no easy feat. We were winning studios and filmmakers over with our Digital Re-Mastering (IMAX DMR) technology, but this was our opportunity to take it a step further by displaying our 3D conversion (or rendering because it isn’t subject to the limitations in a live-action conversion to 3D) technology in a Hollywood movie. Although our 3D technology had been proven through our multiple space and science documentaries, introducing this technology to Hollywood was a tough sell.
Click the Read link below to view the full blog article.
Many theaters show The Polar Express each holiday season, so it wouldn't be any stretch to imagine that we'll see showtimes for The Polar Express: An IMAX Experience (showtimes are already available) and The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience appear in the next few months. You can keep an eye out for when it's playing near you by marking them as your Favorite Movies!
Lacking that as an option, you can enjoy the movie in 3D at home if you have the right equipment (IMAX-sized screen optional, but not necessary)! Gift Shop merchant has The Polar Express (Single Disc Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray Combo) for a pretty good discount. If you don't have a 3D-equipped system, you search for The Polar Express on DVD, Blu-ray, or Instant Video.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.