Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Indiana, PA: Indiana Mall Cinema Closes, Changes Hands from Carmike to Golden Star Theaters - Set to Open June 12th [5/19]
- Tucson, AZ: Cinemark Announces Plan for 14-Screen Movie Theater at Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges [5/18]
- Tulsa, OK: Cinemark Movies 8 Closed [5/15]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Rave Cinemas Pittsburgh North 11 Closing Tonight [5/14]
- Cinemark Announces 2015 "Summer Movie Clubhouse" Series of Kid-Friendly Movies [5/14]
- Cheektowaga, NY: Movieland 8 Theatre Closed [5/12]
- San Angelo, TX: Icon Cinema Opening in 2015 in Former K-Mart Space [5/11]
- Albuquerque, NM: Icon Cinema to Open Soon in Four Hills Village Shopping Center [5/11]
- Roseville, MI: Silver Cinemas - Macomb Mall Closed [5/8]
- Oxon Hill, MD: AMC Reopens the Former Rivertowne 12 Cinemas [5/5]
The Barnstorm Theater in The Villages, Florida opened to the public on Friday, October 12, 2012. The new theater is located in the new Paddock Square area of the retirement community of more than 51,000 people.
The Villages Daily Sun published an article shortly after the opening, which gauged reactions to the new theater and surrounding area:
When the highly anticipated Brownwood opened Friday morning, Villagers roamed the new downtown area snapping photos of Paddock Square, peering into the windows of future restaurants and awaiting the opening of the appropriately named Barnstorm Theater.
From the outside, the barn-inspired theater looks like a throwback to Florida’s cattle town days, complete with a weather vane topping it. Standing to the side of the theater is a weathered-looking grain silo with a wrap-around marquee, advertising the movies showing.
As the box office opened at 9:30 a.m., residents formed a line that stretched almost to the street. Leading the line were Village of Duval residents Paddy and Al Brancaleone.
“We’ve been looking forward to this every day watching to see when it would open,” Paddy said, adding that the two often drove by the square to check on its progress.
As moviegoers like the Brancaleones entered the theater, they were awestruck by the attention to detail.
Vintage farm equipment, antique appliances, historical advertising pieces and even primitive bottles of spices adorned shelves and lofts in the theater. From the ceiling hung a three-tiered wagon wheel chandelier lit by hanging camp lanterns.
“I just love it — all the different things that are up on the walls and sitting around,” said Diane Campbell, a visitor from Iowa. “We’re from Iowa so it just sort of makes you feel like you’re back home again.”
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
The Barnstorm Theater is the third movie theater in The Villages, joining the Rialto 8 and Old Mill Playhouse. The three theaters do have some overlap in their movie lineups, but given the distance between the theaters and the clientele involved, there's probably not much competition between them.
Photo ©2012 The Villages, Florida, Inc All rights reserved
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.