Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
Dolby Laboratories announced today that the next movie to be released in their new Dolby Atmos™ sound format will be Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Only two movies have been released in the sound format so far, Disney's Brave in June 2012 and Taken 2 earlier this month. A third, Chasing Mavericks, will open on October 26, 2012.
Read more about Dolby Atmos sound format in a previous Journal article titled Next Two Dolby Atmos Releases Announced.
Peter Jackson is no stranger to stretching technology to advance his storytelling goals. Earlier this year, he announced that the movie will be made using 48 frames-per-second technology, which records images at twice the rate that movies are traditionally created. The press release supports this with the following quote from Jackson:
“I strive to make movies that allow the audience to participate in the events onscreen, rather than just watch them unfold. Wonderful technology is now available to support this goal: high frame rates, 3D, and now the stunning Dolby Atmos system,” said Peter Jackson, co-writer, director, and producer of The Hobbit trilogy. “Dolby has always been at the cutting edge of providing cinema audiences with the ultimate sound experience, and they have now surpassed themselves. Dolby Atmos provides the completely immersive sound experience that filmmakers like myself have long dreamed about.”
A big caveat in this announcement is that currently, Dolby only lists 14 commercial movie theaters in the US equipped with Dolby Atmos sound installations. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be released in theaters across the US on Friday, December 14th, 2012, so here's hoping that Dolby can get their sound system installed in more theaters by then!
There also is some trepidation about whether many movie theaters will be able to play the movie at 48fps, so finding a movie theater that is presenting the movie with both technologies might be a bit of a stretch. Add to that the fact that some people will prefer to see either the 2D or 3D version, but not the other (depending on their preferences) and you have a scenario which makes it improbable to get the most personally satisfying experience possible. 51 days is a lot of time, so we'll have to keep our eyes on the Showtimes pages for both versions to see what happens! (see the list of movie titles to the right)
Source: Dolby Laboratories Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.