Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Falmouth Cinema Pub
East Falmouth, MA
- Regal Cinemas Mashpee Commons 6
- Regal Cinemas Nickelodeon 5
North Falmouth, MA
Add Your Comments
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Revere, MA: Showcase Cinema de Lux Revere Debuts "MX4D® Theatre" [8/6]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
The Regal Cinemas Nickelodeon 5 in North Falmouth, Massachusetts closed on October 11, 2012. The Falmouth Enterprise published an article about the closing, saying that declining attendance, combined with the cost of converting the theater to Digital Cinema Projection systems, was behind the decision:
Last week the theater’s current owners, Regal Entertainment Group, elected to close it once again. Russ Nunley, vice president of marketing and communications for Regal, said the decision “was brought on by not being able to sustain a theater where box office receipts had been declining.”
Added pressure to convert its projectors from 35-mm to digital, he said, did not make it financially viable to keep the theater open.
Click the Read link below to view the full article. It goes on to say that the building's future use is restricted from being a movie theater, so there's little hope that the theater will reopen under a new owner.
The Nickelodeon was opened as a single-screen location in 1972 by the Tranum and Ven Meter families of Falmouth1, and expanded to two screens in 1976, and then to five in 1983. It was sold to Interstate Theatres in 1986 and then later sold to the Hoyts Corporation in 1988. When Hoyts was purchased by Regal Entertainment Group in 2003, it became the Regal Cinemas Nickelodeon 5 (see the theater's previous entry).2
Moviegoers in the area will need to travel to the Falmouth Cinema Pub in East Falmouth, the Regal Cinemas Mashpee Commons 6 in Mashpee, or one of the other nearby theaters if they want to see movies on the big screen.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.