Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Santa Monica, CA: Watch the Extended Versions of All Three LOTR Movies at the Aero Theatre on August 30, 2014 [8/21]
- Lodi, CA: Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Temporarily Closed for Bedbugs [8/20]
- Hollywood, CA: World Premiere of "If I Stay" on August 20, 2014 at Chinese Theatre [8/20]
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
- AMC Theatres to Install IMAX in 11 Locations in Chicago, New York, Newark, and Phoenix [8/19]
- Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - South Lamar Reopens [8/18]
- West Melbourne, FL: Grand Opening of Carmike West Melbourne 12 on August 13, 2014 [8/11]
- Montgomery, AL: Carmike Chantilly 13 Now Open [8/8]
- Salt Lake City, UT: Megaplex to Build 10-Screen Movie Theater at Cottonwood Development [8/2]
- Boston, MA: Museum of Science Opens 4-D Theater [7/31]
The MET Cinemas in Oakhurst, California closed today. A message posted on their web site simply states the following:
WITH HEAVY HEARTS WE REGRETFULLY INFORM YOU THAT WE ARE NO LONGER OPEN FOR BUSINESS.
IF ANYONE HAS A YEAR PASS OR ANY GIFT CERTIFICATES PLEASE CONTACT US AT METCINEMA@STI.NET, LEAVE YOUR INFORMATION AND WE WILL CONTACT YOU AS SOON AS WE CAN.
THANK YOU AGAIN.
The Sierra Star published an article, titled "Mourning the Met" about the closing that quotes the owners of the theater about the reason for the theater closing:
Plagued with sleepless nights since the fall of 2008 over the financial solvency of the Met Cinema, owners Ray and Irma Martinez regretfully closed the Oakhurst movie theater on Nov. 1 -- a decision that hit them and area residents unexpectedly.
"The word we're using is grieving," Ray said. "Just thank you community, and we're sorry."
After the Martinezes spoke with their lawyer last week about their hopes of at least pushing through to the holiday season, they were advised that wouldn't be possible. Close the doors tomorrow, or go under, he told them.
"Had we put it out there and said, 'We're about to close,' people would have showed up and maybe made a two month effort, but we couldn't have made a permanent change (to make things better)," Ray said.
You can read the full article by clicking on the Read link below.
Moviegoers in the area will have to travel to see movies on the big screen, with the closest theater being the Madera Drive-In Theatre in Madera, about 34 miles away. There are six other theaters within a 40 mile radius, so check out the list of Nearby Theaters to find a theater that is playing what you want to see!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.