Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Cinema City - Columbus
Add Your Comments
- Warren, MI: MJR Universal Grand Cinema 16 Expected to Open April 7, 2017 [3/22]
- Gibsonton, FL: Goodrich Riverview 14 GDX Now Open [3/21]
- Hilliard, OH: Movie Tavern - Mill Run Closing April 9, 2017 [3/10]
- Fernandina Beach, FL: B & B Theaters Amelia Island 7 Opens in Former Carmike Island 7 Space [3/10]
- Chicago, IL: Chatham 14 Theaters Becomes Studio Movie Grill - Chatham [3/8]
- Fallston, MD: Fallston Movies Opens March 9, 2017 [3/8]
- Omaha, NE: Dundee Theatre Staging a Comeback [3/7]
- Omaha, NE: Marcus Midtown Cinema Closing? [3/7]
- Doral, FL: Cobb CinéBistro at CityPlace Doral to Open March 17, 2017 [3/7]
- Robert Osborne, Beloved Host of Turner Classic Movies, Dies at 84 [3/6]
The Cinema City - Columbus in Columbus, Ohio closed on September 14, 2012 when the lights went out shortly before the movies began. Normally, a power outage wouldn't close a theater, but it does when the outage is a result of the building's owner not paying the bill. Eric Lyttle at theotherpaper.com wrote an article that documents the theater's woes:
The Marketplace of the Americas Mall, formerly the Brice Mall on Scarborough Boulevard in east Columbus, shuttered its doors on Friday when AEP turned off the juice for defaulting on the utility bill.
By Monday, the owners of the mall—Robert Hager of Minnesota and Michael Spielzogel and Todd South of Florida—had decided to close down for good.
One of the victims of the decision was mall tenant Cinema City. Manager Jacob Sanders said he was surprised when the lights went dark Friday shortly before his full slate of flicks was scheduled to start rolling.
“Ownership couldn’t pay the utilities,” said Sanders, who just two weeks ago launched a new late-night film series and had plans to add a full bar to the venue. “I had been trying to buy the theater since January. We got pretty close, but (the mall owners) couldn’t get their act together.”
Click the Read link to view the full article.
Moviegoers in the area have choices, however, so if you're in the area, you can check out this list of nearby theaters to find where to catch a movie.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.