Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Parkway Theater
Add Your Comments
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Theatres Takes Over Former Regal Glen 10 Location [11/18]
- Hornell, NY: Movie Theater to Reopen in December [11/18]
- West Valley City, UT: Carmike Ritz 15 - Hollywood Connection Closed [11/17]
- St. Charles, MO: AMC Streets of St Charles 8 Opening November 17, 2014 [11/14]
- Glenview, IL: Regal Glen 10 Closed [11/4]
- North Little Rock, AR: Cinemark Tandy Movies 10 Closed [11/4]
- Cincinnati, OH: The Screens at Cincinnati Mall Opens in Former Danbarry Dollar Saver - Cincinnati Mills Site [10/24]
- Aurora, CO: Aurora Movie Tavern Debuts New Amenities [10/24]
- El Monte, CA: Edwards El Monte 8 Closed [10/24]
- Neil Patrick Harris Announced as Host of 2015 Academy Awards Ceremony [10/15]
The Parkway Theater in Oakland, California closed on Sunday, March 29, 2009. The San Franciscso Chronicle published an article on March 20 that quoted the owners about why the theater was closing:
Owners Catherine and Kyle Fischerannounced Wednesday night that the theater would close after the last event Sunday, a documentary about Mexican wrestling with a live performance by Latin surf dance band Carne Cruda, best known for its song "Oakland's Tight."
It was the economy that killed the Parkway, Catherine Fischer said Thursday."Times are really, really tough," said Fischer. "We love Oakland and we love that neighborhood. This is not anything we wanted to ever happen. It's been very hard."
Since the economy started to implode last fall, costs have steadily risen and fewer people are going to the movies, she said. The theater's landlord and vendors now have less flexibility with payments, forcing the Fishers to shutter the theater permanently.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Fortunately for moviegoers in the area, there are choices to be had, although not with the same amenities that the Parkway Theater provided. Nonetheless, take a look at the Nearby Theaters listing to see what theaters are nearby.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.