Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Century Aurora
- Birmingham, MI: Palladium Theatre Reopens as 5-Screen Luxury Movie Theater [10/5]
- Washington, DC: Landmark Atlantic Plumbing Cinema to Open October 15, 2015 [10/5]
- San Diego, CA: Angelika Film Center & Cafe to Open October 9, 2015 [10/2]
- La Jolla, CA: Movies Come to The LOT [10/2]
- Rochester, MN: Wehrenberg Rochester Galaxy 14 Cine Getting IMAX, Losing Mega Screen [9/30]
- Duncansville, PA: Carmike 12 - Altoona Opens October 1, 2015 [9/30]
- Bellevue, WA: AMC Loews Factoria 8 Closed Temporarily for Seating Upgrades [9/29]
- Appleton, WI: Marcus Valley Value Cinema Closed [9/24]
- Renton, WA: Regal East Valley 13 Closed, Building Sold to CarMax [9/23]
- Camillus, NY: Movie Tavern Breaks Ground, Plans May 2016 Opening [9/21]
The Century Aurora in Aurora, Colorado is planning to reopen to the public on January 17, 2013, after being closed following a deadly shooting at the theater in July 2012. Parent company Cinemark unveiled plans in November to redesign the theater, changing the exterior which was shown on news broadcasts around the world following the shooting, and renovating the auditorium where the event happened.
Theater exterior before 2012 redesign
Rendering of the new theater exterior
FOX31 in Denver is reporting that the invitations sent by Cinemark to the families of the shooting victims have caused some negative reactions:
The families of those slain at an Aurora movie theater in July recently received an invitation from Cinemark to attend the company’s reopening of that same theater later this month.
On Wednesday, FOX31 Denver obtained a copy of a letter signed by 11 of the 12 victim’s families and sent in response to the company’s invitation. Referring to the Century 16 theater in Aurora as “the killing field of our children,” the letter called the company’s invitation “disgusting.”
Click the Read link below to view the full article and the letter that the families sent to Cinemark.
This was a difficult situation all-around. On Cinemark's part, they need to proceed with doing business at this movie theater. The community showed support for reopening the theater, and I'm sure that Cinemark would really like to get it back in operation. It's a delicate situation because of the impact the shooting had on so many people, and I'm sure that many discussions precipated the sending of the invitation.
However, the timing certainly could have been better. While the loss of loved ones never completely goes away, the new year is a time for fresh starts and for putting at least some of the past behind you and looking forward to the future. Waiting until now to send the invitations would have been a better idea. Regardless of the timing, it seems that these families do not feel as though Cinemark has done enough to make an awful situation better in some way. Given that, perhaps there was a never a good time for Cinemark to do this.
Re-opening Details TBA
Cinemark's web site doesn't have any details about the opening of the theater yet, only a mention of free movies for the weekend of January 18-20th, with a promise of more information to follow.
Photos above are ©2012 Cinemark USA, Inc.
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.