Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Granite City Cinema
Granite City, IL
Add Your Comments
- Frisco, TX: Cinemark Movie Theater Delayed to September 2018 [1/23]
- Malibu, CA: Regal Malibu Twin May Close Soon [1/23]
- Rochester, NY: Cinemark Movies 10 in Brighton Closed [1/23]
- Staten Island, NY: UA Hylan Plaza 5 Closed [1/23]
- Santa Fe, NM: UA Devargas Mall Cinema 6 Closed [1/23]
- Star Wars 8 Has a Title: "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" [1/23]
- Asheville, NC: UA Beaucatcher Cinemas 7 Closed [1/20]
- Hamilton, NJ: Grand Opening of Regal Independence Plaza 12 & RPX Scheduled for February 16, 2017 [1/18]
- Arlington, TX: Studio Movie Grill - Arlington Lincoln Square to Open January 19, 2017 [1/16]
- Arlington, TX: Studio Movie Grill - Arlington Lincoln Square to Offer Special-Needs Programs [1/16]
When the Granite City Cinema opened in Granite City, Illinois in August 2010, the city chose St. Louis Cinemas to operate it while still retaining ownership. In December 2011, it notified the company that it was going to sever its relationship with the company and take over operations itself, according to an article published in the Suburban Journals December 27, 2011:
Granite City will take over the management of the Granite City Cinema on New Year's Day.
All employees of the movie theater, who were STL Cinemas' employees, will work for the city after Jan. 1. The city previously reimbursed STL Cinemas for their salaries and other operating expenses.
The city owns the movie theater at 1243 Niedringhaus, and paid for its $3.6 million construction.
"We appreciate what STL Cinemas did for us," said Mayor Ed Hagnauer. "It's time for us to move on and take it over ourselves."
Theater manager Lanny Mann and assistant manager Travis Cape will continue to do day-to-day management of the movie house as city employees. Mann has been in the business since the 1970s and Cape about 20 years.
"They'll have better control of what they want this building to do," Mann said of the city's control of the theater.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
A follow-up article published today mentions that taking back ownership will allow the theater to cater to the needs of the community:
With the city at the reins of Granite City Cinema, Granite City Mayor Ed Hagnauer said residents can expect the theater to begin reflecting more of the interests of the community.
"There are certain movies that aren't going to go in Granite," he said. "With (manager Lanny Mann) and (assistant manager Travis Cape) being here every day ... they have a better feel for what we may want playing in our theater."
To find out what's playing at the theater, head over to their Showtimes page and make your plans!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.